What's new

How do you hook up your subs if it has 2 inputs? (1 Viewer)

pwangdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Greetings:

My RSW-12 sub has two sub-woofer input one in white color and the other one red.

I hook up my Denon AVR-4806 subwoofer output to my JBL HTPS-300 power sub input and from the HTPS output to the RSW-12 red input. Is this correct? Otherwise, which input should I use for optimum performance and bass?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Y splitter to use both.

If you want to use only one, you should read the manual for the sub to see which one is the right one to use. Sometimes it matters which one, sometimes it does not.

pwangdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the input.

What I don't understand is LFE use a coaxial cable. However, I am unable to find a Y coaxial splitter.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
You can usually just plug into one of the two inputs.......I believe my SVS manual says that and that's what I do, I just use one of the two.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
pwangdel

I answered your post about how to connect your RSW12 on another forum where you posted the same question.

How to connect 2 subs is a different question, though. Don't daisy-chain the subs; use a Y-splitter.

pwangdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for all the input.

David: your Y splitter splits one to two, so I can use it to split my sub out from my receiver to feed two sub. Howeve, I thought that I would nee Y splitter that would combine both input of the sub into one like this one
However, the cable is not coaxial.

ScottChi: you give me a good idea of using a Y splitter and don't daisy chain the sub. Is there any particular reason for not daisy chain your sub as per the sub manual suggestion?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
It's cleaner to just simply use a Y-splitter. The signal passed by the first sub in the chain may not be as clean.

pwangdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
I will try this set up. Hook Front Left and Right pre-out channel from receiver to stereo inputs on both sub. What do you think? I hope that I won't blow them up. :laugh:

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Bad idea, but do what you wish. Why do you want to do that, anyway?

Just make sure you set your receiver up as having NO SUB if you want the LFE channel info to be re-routed through your R+L pre-outs. And your subs' crossover settings will now become important and you'll need to ENABLE the LOW PASS on the Klipsch (as opposed to DISABLEing it when using it for an LFE connection).

pwangdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
ScottChi:

I get this idea from another forum where the discussion is why Sub has two inputs while it is monaural

"...The line level stereo inputs (and corresponding outputs, usually) are there to allow more flexibility in hook-up.
Let's say that you had an older stereo pre-amp with no subwoofer output (Like a nice Dynaco Pas-3). To employ the use of a sub, you could run interconnnects from the stereo pre-amp outputs to the stereo inputs on the sub. Then back out of the sub and into your amplifier. Most subs apply a high pass filter so your amp will only get, for example, 70 hz and up. This works great if you have a pair of bookshelf speakers that you want to run with a sub and is a superior alternative to using long runs of speaker wire to connect to the high level (or speaker level) connections on a sub.
I also reccomend it in applications where you might want to run multiple subs. Rather than split the subwoofer output on a receiver, you can use the pre-outs for the left and right channel and run them to a second sub. I do this at home and it works great. Allows more control over your bass distribution, too...."

Now I've some doubt about this method. Since I won't be able to adjust THX ES, Dolby II EX settings in the receiver etc with "no sub" option.

I'll stick with the Y connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks