How do you hook up a computer to an HDTV?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mitch Stevens, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Hi Everyone,

Now that I've gotten my Mits HDTV (WITHOUT DVI) what's the best way to hook my computer to output the highest resolution. Am I screwed just because my TV doesn't have DVI, or are there other ways to still have high resolutions on an HDTV?

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

You can still use component outputs. Make sure you find a video card that a) has these outputs, or b) has an adaptor which supports these outputs. Do not use the S-video output on the video card as it will do nothing to improve the quality of your picture.

3. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Does your Mits have a VGA input?
    If so, run a VGA cable from the vid card to the tv.
    If not you can buy a VGA to component transcoder.

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Mitch:

If you have an ATI Radeon/AIW 9700 card, you can get a $30 adapter that converts a DVI signal into a component signal.

You can then use that to output to a HDTV. [​IMG]

5. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

6. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Hmm...thanks for all the helpful information so far. Can I expect much higher quality from a "component transcoder" than I'm getting from the S-Video connection, or is it just a tiny bit better? They are super expensive, and I don't even use the computer too much. I wanted it mainly to watch the videos I had encoded to divx.

John, nope...my Mits does not support a VGA input either, so the only option I have left is either S-Video (which I'm using now) or Component. If I use Component, can I use a higher resolution than I'm using now...(800 X 600 I think)?