What's new

How do YOU have your center set up? (1 Viewer)

TravisMc

Stunt Coordinator
I'm faced with an all to common challenge. I am about to buy a new RP Tv, but, I have a Klipsch RC3II center that I need to set ontop of it. From the looks of things, I don't think the TV can handle the center. Its just to small (Sony KP51WS510). I guess I'm going to look at mounting it on the wall above the TV as an option, any other ideas? How have you guys delt with this problem?

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I have mine in an entertainment center that has a shelf right above the TV.

brad cook

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm still trying to figure it out. I have a 32" direct view Sony Wega CRT and I'm trying to decide if I should get a tallish rack for it and place the centre below the screen or if I should find a very short stand for it and place the centre on top. My chief concern is audio, as I have a fair number of M/C hi-res discs and plan to get more in the future. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have Boston Acoustics VR-M60s for front mains and a VRC centre.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
i have the same tv. i have the center chanel velcroed to the top of the set. seems to be staying put. i've heard there is some kind of shelf that attaches to the tv that you can put the center chanel on but i haven't seen one yet.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
My Center is sitting right on top of my Zenith c32v37. That's one of the few TV's I have seen around where you can get away with a stunt like that.

And this HTD level 4 center, she ain't small!

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator

That's a great idea and it's cool if it works out but I'd advise anyone that's considering this option to make sure that your center channel sounds clear and good this far back from the front of the TV. I know with my center the dialogue is clearest to me when I have it pulled forward, actually slightly more forward than the TV. I could push it back and turn up the gain for the center but then it wouldn't be matched very well on louder noises.

brad cook

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I would consider putting it in the front on a stand as well. I guess the only limitation with that is it a bit space invading in the living room...but if that's not a bid deal then go for it.

The shelf is a great idea as well. However, I would be concerned with it being so far back from the mains not to mention some sound being reflected of the top of the TV itself. But again, mine isn't set up that way so I can't say it doesn't sound great.

I have a Toshiba 50H82 which was the last year they made the wider top so mine fits well there. It seems all the newer RPTV's aren't taking that into consideration!

Paul Britt

Auditioning
My Def Tech CLR 3000 fits in an entertainment center over the TV. Just go to my profile to see the pictures.

PWB
================================================== =====
Play it as loud as the chihuahuas will allow.

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator

If audio is your concern for M/C audio, then I strongly recommend somehow trying to put your center speaker at the same height as the left and right channels. I formerly had mine on top of my TV and it wasn't very stable. When I moved it down not only did I feel like it wasn't going to fall over all the time, but the multi-channel imaging improved markedly.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have the center above the TV, on top of the entertainment unit. My solution to the imaging issue was to also put the left and right front speakers on top of the unit. There's virtually no sense that the speakers are "above" the image (they are all angled slightly down) and the sound is great.

Regards,

Joe

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Here is one of them. Its a KEF 200C and is naturally angled up a bit. I am seriously considering replacing the TV with a 65" Panasonic which will mean that I'll have to potentially replace the three speakers with an Atlantic Technology FS-5000

In the theater, I used a "standard" speaker instead of a center channel model (Atlantic Technology 8200e). It is behind the screen. Here is a shot before the screenwall was covered and the screen installed:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks