What's new

How do you get autographs? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I was just wondering if anyone here in the forum is into getting autographs? and if so how do you get them?

I sometimes attend conventions to get autographs but find it hard to find out where events are taking place. Here in NY I sometimes see ads for book signings that Barnes and Noble are having but thats it.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I go to conventions and meet people. I've met a lot of musicians at guitar shows as well as after concerts. I've met sport's players, wrestlers and movie stars at conventions too. I hope to meet Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes at MegaCon this weekend in Orlando.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Sometimes you can get the address of the star you want th autograph from, and simply mail them a request. Some of them actually do return autographed pictures. Who knows, it's worth a try.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
A self-addressed, stamped envelope is a big help along with a few words about why you like the person and anything in particular you can point out about a performance. Be polite, don't be familiar, call the person Mr./Ms./Dr./Sir or whatever is appropriate. Don't fabricate tall tales saying the autograph is for your dying neice, nephew, or dog (unless it's true). Try to find the performer's best performance and mention it however don't gush or pedestalate the person. You're going for, "enthusiastic", not, "stalker".

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The first autograph I ever got was of Bob Barker from "The Price is Right". I was 7 years old and wrote, at the time, a cool letter saying how much I enjoyed the show, had the board game at home, the works. He sent me back an autographed picture of himself. That was pretty cool for a 7-year-old. And I still have the picture to this day.

Since then I've managed to pick up other autographs from different venues:

- Wolfman Jack was at a car show signing during the early 1980's. My dad drove me to it, even though I was sick with a cold.

- Got autographed books from Walter Koenig and Grace Lee Whitney in the early 1990's at Star Trek conventions.

- Got some ST cards autographed by Mark Lenard in '93.

- Went to Lemuria Bookstore to purchase Lewis Grizzard's book "I Took a Lickin' and Kept on Tickin' and Now I Believe in Miracles" for my dad for Christmas back in '92, and I stood in line for two hours to get the book signed by Lewis Grizzard. This was 3-4 months before he passed away after his fourth heart operation. He looked really frail, but he still enjoyed getting out and meeting the fans.

- Picked up some autographed ST and ST: TNG cards at card shops through the 90's.

- Got autographed CD's and DVD's signed by Rebecca St. James and Audio Adrenaline after their concerts.

So for me it's been because of different people, different places, different times.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
My one good autograph story was just the result of some cool serendipity. I don't know whether anyone here's ever heard of the band Junior Senior (they did the song "Move Your Feet" with the pixel-animated video), but my girlfriend and I were going to see them in Lawrence, Kansas a few months ago.

We arrived early, so we went to dinner at a sushi place about a block over from where the concert was going to be. We were just about finished with our meal when my girlfriend says to me, "Isn't that Junior?" I turned around and saw Junior, Senior, and their backup singer Lars walking in and sitting down at a table right across from us. My girlfriend had their CD with her, so she walked right over and got their autographs. Fun, and just a neat little coincidence that they happened to choose the same restaurant that we did.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
One day I heard Hunter S Thompson was autographing his new book at a bookstore down the street. When me & my wife got there the line was down the block...Johnny Depp was in the limo with the windows up and strange noises were coming out of the bookstore. We thought to get a bite to eat and the line would be down a little....when we came back it wrapped itself completely around the block.

We went in just to see what was going on and it was a total madhouse. There was a long table in front of Hunter, littered with bottles of wild Turkey etc. A young girl was pleading with Hunter and his response was "Not big enough!". With that he did a arm twerl worthy of Pete Townsend and came down with a thump that made all the bottles on the table jump.

You got an autograph stamp if you didn't bring a worthy gift.

Some are harder than others.....

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Unfortunately I think autographs are getting harder to come by. More celebrities are reluctant to sign because they think people are just hustling items for Ebay--which is probably true.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I work at Antiquities, at the Ceasers Palace forum shop,

and we have numerous and numerous celebrity autographs.

I've even got some myself, such as

Maggie Gyllenhaal and Scarlet Johansen

Its funny.

We even had Mike Tyson in the other day looking for boxers autographs, Axel Rose also came in to buy some stuff and Michael Jackson's people were in yesterday, wanting us to sell one of his signed pieces

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks