What's new

How do you configure the volume of the SUB? Used SPL for speakers. (1 Viewer)

BruceD

Screenwriter
Doug,

I think you are approaching your implementation with good planning. A couple of points;

1) I would only be concerned with the "peaks" in SPL dB response for the sub and mostly ignore the "valleys".

2) Go for a sub location that minimizes the peaks.

Yes, I agree after everything else a Parametric EQ will handily take care of any peaks.

If you find a corner that actually works OK, it should give the least variation of SPL response in different listening positions and again the EQ can cut any obnoxious peaks.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
BruceD,

Thanks for the response.

If you find a corner that actually works OK, it should give the least variation of SPL response in different listening positions and again the EQ can cut any obnoxious peaks.
I suspect that I won't be able to avoid the generally higher SPLs that will be along the wall where visitors would occasionally sit.

Thanks again.

Doug

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
So in other words using the Radio Shack SPL meter for sub calibration is useless. I guess only hobbyists with a RTA will have a truly matched sub. As easy as it is to match the other channels via Avia and the SPL meter, the sub is equally as mystifying. I give up. I decided to just get it close via Avia and the Rat Shack meter and then adjust to where I like it from there.
Too bad someone didn't tell the folks at Avia about all of this so they could have mentioned it on the DVD. They didn't say a word. They just say to match it to the front left channel. Oh well. :frowning:

ling_w

Second Unit
So in other words using the Radio Shack SPL meter for sub calibration is useless. I guess only hobbyists with a RTA will have a truly matched sub. As easy as it is to match the other channels via Avia and the SPL meter, the sub is equally as mystifying. I give up. I decided to just get it close via Avia and the Rat Shack meter and then adjust to where I like it from there.

Subwoofers has been around long before HT, and Ratshack's SPL meter has been around for just about as long. Matching pink noise levels were never done. It was always 1/3 or 1/6 oct pink noise or warble tone, and matching levels @ crossover freq. One would not have to worry about how many dB the SPL meter was off since both speaker and subs were measured at the same narrow freq range.

The ratshack SPL meter is good for measuring spot freq or freq of narrow range. The usualy way is play a certain freq/freq range, get measurement, refer to chart that has SPL meter error, offset your reading to get the true result. You can't measure an LFE explosion and say you got such and such dB since there could be tremendous amount of bass in the 20-30hz range, which would completely throw the reading off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks