What's new

How do laserdiscs look on HD/Widescreen TVs? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I was just wondering how they hold up to DVDs while viewed on HD/Widescreen TVs. Do they look better or worse? Is it half and half? So can anyone who owns both answer this?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'd say its half and half. Generally they look worse, but some of that could be the fact that I'm used to DVD pq now. I must say that after adding an iScan Pro they do look substantially better!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It does depend on the title, but in general they are inferior to DVDs by a noticible margin. The exception are titles that were mastered from the LD masters on DVD (there are several Miramax titles in there) that actually look better, though noisier, on LD due to the lack of compression artifacts. Another contender is MGM's Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources which look better on LD as they also aren't squashed into oblivion like the DVDs.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Also greatly depends on your player and how good your widescreen TV is. Obviously, the great players such as the 79,97,99, and the japanese players will give a much better image than the lower grade players. For the lesser players, the quality of the line doubler and the comb filter in the TV will make a huge difference. Widescreen sets like the Pioneer Elite's, which have among the best line doublers and comb filters, will give a much better image than say a Panasonic widescreen set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks