What's new

How do I do video telephony? (1 Viewer)

Denward

Supporting Actor
So I've got a new daughter and my mother lives 2000 miles away in Los Angeles. What do I need to do to have them hear and see each other, preferably for little or no cost other than hardware. I'm sure my brother can help set up the hardware on the other end.

Do connection speeds matter? I've got DSL but I bet my mother's house only has 56k.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
MS Netmeeting. If your video card has a composite video in, you can use a regular 8mm/VHS camera. I'm sure a webcam would also work.

You'd probably be the server. all you need to do is give her your IP number, and they punch it in to their NetMeeting.

You can set your upload rate depending on what the receiver has, so a 56k feed would be in lofi mono, and small screen size. But it's still good.

PS> this is all theory. I was supposed to try this with my brother in Amsterdam, but the net Café they went to cut off their webcams before we got to try it out. He hasn't found a new one with webcams yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks