What's new

How did I miss this all summer? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
So, I was meandering about my yard this afternoon when I see what I originally thought was some kind of bird's nest because of its size.

Upon closer inspection, it's a huge yellow-jacket nest!

It's probably about 18 inches tall to give you an idea of the scale of it.

I'm hoping I can pull it down in the winter and turn it over to a local nature center for educational purposes.

Right now, it kinda looks like a big, brown, human heart hanging in my tree.

Anyone have experience with one of these?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There's a viewing port on the bottom, it's like a kaliedoscope, you just shake it a bit... ;) < and you'll look like this afterward.

If the wasps aren't bothering you, wait until it gets cold and they've died and cut off the branch.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Holy shnikes! As someone who is always paranoically looking under the eaves of my roof for even the slightest sign of a nest, I can't imagine seeing such a thing in my yard.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Doing a little research, I came across a few articles about unusually large yellow-jacket nests down south that have scientists scratching their heads.

Here's one that's completely filled the inside an abandoned car:

It looks like a scene right out of "Aliens".

Link to article

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I recall a house in Houston that was abandoned, and jellow jackets built nests into the walls. There were so many, and the house was so infested, that it had to be burned down, or something.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, we have them here in Central New York. From what some of the farmers in the area are saying, the chickens find them delicious and got very fat before all the caterpillars cocooned earlier.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
We used to get Caterpillar nests in our apple and peach trees. I remember, as a kid, my dad would go out there with the blow torch and hit the nests. It was kind of disturbing to see all the torched caterpillars falling out of the nest...but at the time, I was a kid, so I thought it was cool. :D

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I'm pretty sure you can use that nest like a conch shell -- just put your mouth over the hole at the bottom and blow. It'll make a real purty sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks