What's new

How come there's no love for Pioneer Elite receivers on this forum ? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The ELite stuff was pretty popular around here for a while:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/19990901-14-000970.html
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Pioneer VSX-39TX Elite receiver and CLD-99 Elite Laser Disc player to death.

I also have a strong affinity for my Pioneer 16x9 set and DVD player. Altho one day they both will be upgraded to Elite models.

Pioneer has proven itself time and time again and I am 100% behind the quality product they consistantly put out.

-Dan

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
THX or no THX, I sell almost all the brands discussed here and I just don't think their amps have the power to drive more demanding speakers....

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
I use to be a fan of Pioneer Elite back in the mid 90's. Their products were better then. The laserdisc players were the best of any Pioneer products. In the past few years the Elite receivers have quality control issues and tend to be unreliable. I have had one unit go bad within a 2 year period and a newer EX/ES one in the family went bad within a year.

I bought a Denon and have never looked back.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I like the warm sound of my VSX-27. It replaced a VSX-07 that was nice but lacked DTS and external inputs. The new VSX-49 looks incredible, I'd love to go hear one but my son is supposed to start college next year :eek:
The VSX-27 sits next to a DVL-91, on top of an Elite 610. A very happy affair.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I love my older Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX receiver. Every electronic component I own is Pioneer Elite, top of the line.

It helps that my wife has worked for them for over 14 years and I get the employee discount.

Long live Pioneer!!

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Wow I'm glad there are finally some Elite discussions over here (no pun intended). :) I own a VSX D3S that I would like to think I outgrew. haa.haa. Anyways I've always loved Elite stuff and my favorite Audio/Video store carries that line. I was a bit disappointed to come here and hear recommendations for other brands and the bashing of Elite DVD players though. :frowning: The whole Elite DVD player issue is really confusing me. Yes I've read the Secrets review but I've also seen great reviews from Streophile and other magazines saying it's like the best on the market.

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
When I was shpping for a receiver, I listened to a couple of yamahas (too bright, bad remotes, lots of useless DSPs) and a pair of denons 1801, 2801 (no bass, bad remote) and end up with a elite 24tx. I found it wonderfull, and it has everything I need.

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,

I have used a Pioneer vsx24tx for about 2 years now and have been very pleased with the performance.

The new 49 model looks very interesting, but new speakers are first.

I believe the Elite models are much better than the regular lines.

Josh

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
Well after owning a 26tx for about a year, I finally got rid of it after it breaking twice. Same exact problem both times, and it cost quite a bit to fix. The 2nd time it happened I decided to get a new reciever, the Rotel RSX-1065. Sure it cost $1999 compared to the 26tx's $1200 (When I bought it), but I couldn't believe how much better the Rotel sounded. So, in my experience, the Pioneer had poor customer service, build quality, and sound. I will say it was very easy to use and set up though. I would give my reccomendation to stay away from the Elite line, and save your money for something better.

Tom Lowden

Agent
LawrenceK,

What kind of problem did you have with yours? I guess it wasn't covered under the warranty since you mentioned it was an expensive fix.

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

The problem was that when I powered on the reciever, I would get a hiss for about 3 seconds through the speakers, then I would hear a *click* and the hissing would stop. While this occurred, no sound at all would be played from any source. This would happen, then become an ongoing occurrence with the reciever and it was not covered by the warranty for some reason. When we e-mailed pioneer about it, they basically said "sorry, you have to pay the $250 to fix it yourself".

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
So you were playing something before you turned on your receiver? Or did you turn on your receiver and then played something?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer Elite receiver owners! Do you ever experience audio drop outs when player CD's or DVD's? If your setup is anything like mine, a 5 disc DVD changer (Panasonic CV51) connected to a receiver (having trouble with my SR 6200) via a optical toslink digital cable.

I have audio dropouts at the beginning of each track when I:

1)First turn on the player and press play;

2)change tracks forward or back;

3)press the direct access track #

4)or sometimes even when the player is just playing the whole cd, I get drop outs even track start.

I miss a split second of audio. It sucks. If the Pioneer Elite receivers don't do that, then I will look into their receivers.

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
Howard,

I tried it both ways many times, it made no difference. The reciever failed to recognize the dvd signal, no matter if I turned on the reciever, then played the source, or started playing the source, and then turned on the receiver.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I never miss ANY audio. I have a VSX-26TX and a Yammy disk changer, a Panny DVD, and I use my COmputer for Digital MP3 playback and other sound functions. They are all connected via Fiber optic and the computer by Dig. coax.

I was going to chime in in your other thread about dropouts, but you seemed like your heart was set on the Onkyo(?), so I didn't bother.

I think you'd be very much surprised by a Pioneer Elite Receiver.

Sam

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I am very very interested in the Onkyo 797. Unfortunately, it looks like its going to be a little on the expensive side, like 185% more than what I spent on my SR 6200! Yikes! Gotta get the price down if I am going to go with the 797.

Also, someone did mention they had audio dropouts during DVD layer changes and during the playing of DVD extra's. I'll have to look into that. I might be able to live with that, but I'd rather not miss ANY AUDIO EVER.

So you like your Pioneer? What Pioneer do you think would compare to, say, the Marantz SR 6200 and 7200? Denon 28082 or 3802? Onkyo 696 or 797?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks