What's new

How come no Marantz lovers on this Board? (1 Viewer)

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I was saving for a SR7000 - then unexpected bills - now I'm saving for a 6200, most likely. Winning the lottery would sure make it easier.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Actually, there are many. We're just busy enjoying them. :)
Mike Knapp (the famous one) is a big Marantz fan and has some fine Marantz gear.
Deane

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I have an SR-6200 and love it, but it is in the shop getting the faulty S-Video switching fixed. I think it was part of an early production glitch, because the dealer's other two units they had on hand exhibited the same problem.
Chris

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I listened to many actual systems in friend's homes, and the two that stood out to me were both using Marantz. I was sold, and I am very happy with my choice of a 6200.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I was talking to a friend at a Christmass party and the topic of Marantz electronics came up.
My friend is an EE and had gone through evening MBA school so he had done some research on Marantz as a company.
About 10-20 years ago Marantz produced some fairly high-end electronics. Then they were sold and the new owners did not manage it very well. They tried to break into department-store/mass merchandise market on the weight of their name. Most of the experienced people were let go or quit, quality went through the floor, etc.
Several years ago, new owners came along and bought the company and they have been trying to rebuild it's reputation and return it to it's audiophile glory days.
Since they are "up-and-commers", there have been some glitches, but they are usually quick to respond to problems.
And since they are trying to rebuild their reputation, their units tend to be very good value for the money. (They have to compete with some legendary units from Yamaha, Dennon, Onkyo). So they have done some innovative things with styling (so they stand out from the others on the store shelves) and they have done a very good job with the basic electronics.
So the lack-of-love is simply lack-of-popularity as they struggle to regain their reputation (and distribution channels).

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to start a Marantz love-in, but owning Yamaha, Onkyo and Marantz receivers, I can objectively say:
- I prefer the warm sound of Marantz
- My SR8000 receiver is driving a load that it has no business handling, extremely hard-to-drive electrostatics and 4 ohm rears, and to steal a line from Nike it 'just does it', where I'm disappointed with the others.
If only they could write a manual
wink.gif

Eventually I'll go the separates route, but if you're looing for a receiver its got to be in the two or three receivers on your shortlist.
------------------
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I love Marantz. I have the sr7000 and today i just picked up the 7200 for the DPLII,6.1, and componet video switching. I will be hooking it up tommorow. I need to get a rear center channel. I also have to put a for sale sign on the 7000(an excellent receiver). I have upgraditus again and the cure is expensive :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I's lub's my AV9000 pre just as much as mondo Mike loves his! Call me the elitest bitch!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Three Marantz MA700 monoblocks for the front soundstage. Wouldn't be without 'em! See them at my HT site.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I think part of the reason why there aren't a lot of Marantz supporters out there is because of the lack of coverage from the media. I auditioned the new SR-7200 at the recommendation of a friend. If it wasn't for him, I would have been just perfectly happy with say an Onkyo 787 or maybe a Denon 3802. However, after I listen to the Marantz, I immediately realized just how much I was missing musically with the other two brands. And for the price Marantz can't be beat.
Back to the issue of media coverage. For some reason, I can't seem to find a lot of reviews on Marantz equipment in the States. There are a lot more coverage of Marantz in the British press but American audio and HT magazines seems to have largely ignored Marantz.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I like Marantz. I have admired the MA500 and MA700 monoblocks. Just never had a need for them.
But now, I look forward to the replacement for the AV9000 pre/pro (with DTS-ES/THX EX, DPL II, etc.) to replace my Sony TA-E9000ES some day...
------------------

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Marantz doesn't seem to have the distribution that the others have.
They also don't seem to produce the new products with all the interesting features as the same pace as the others.
Their prices on their premium receivers is unattractive to say the least.
Their webpage is not a credit to their company.
Apart from that, they make fine products and you can guage the interested by the long threads on the 6200/7200 etc.
I really like Marantz. Their products are solid. They are musical, powerful and owners are usually repeat offenders :)
However I can't wait forever and the competition is MIGHTY strong and getting stronger (ie. favourites like Denon and Onkyo and the new stars like Kenwood).
>If only they could write a manual
True dat!
T.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Very happy SR-6200 owner here. I have yet to discover any S-video glitch because I am not using it right now. I don't want to be without a receiver for long enough to get it fixed either. I will have to check it out before the extremely good warranty is up.
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
What I don't understand is posts like this.....
What does it matter if people around here love Marantz or not? If you're happy with your equipment, that's the point.
Just because it's not what everybody is talking about doens't mean there's "no love" for it around here.
Here's a good question though....
Why no love for KLH around here?

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I love my SR-8000 it's driving my 4 ohm Linn's with no problems.
When it comes to this board you need to remember that it's a HT board. All of the brand mentioned here can do HT the only reciever that did music the way I expected was Marantz. I was able to pony up the $1150 for the reciever that sounded the best. Not every one is. Marantz dealers rearely come down on price too much.
Their new recievers may be good bang for the buck recievers their older ones were not as competative in that respect. Their recivers generally don't have all the bells and whistles that others do. All I care about is the sound and if Marantz offers the right bells and whistles with their usual sound quality at competative prices then they will gain ground IMO.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I'm an SR7000 owner. I love that machine! It's beautiful and functional. I'm driving B&Ws with it, and the sound is phenomenal.
-Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks