What's new

How can I improve my bowling? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Okay, after yet another sub-par night of bowling, I've come to the conclusion that I either completely suck with no hope of improving (more than likely) or there is room for improvement, however unlikely. With the latter in mind, I sat down and made out a list of ways I could improve my game:

1. 'Tonya Harding' the opposition.
Could work, but I hate the sound of crunching bone - gives me the willies.

2. Hack into the bowling alley computer system and change my scores.
Could work, but what do I do once I turn my computer on?

3. Lob sticks of dynamite down the lane.
I think about doing this all the time. Unfortunately, it's a bit on the destructive side.

4. Bribe the opposition.
No way. Need money for DVDs. Truffaut box set trumps bragging rights to silly game of little consequence.

5. Create athletically-inclined clone to bowl for me.
Tempting, but then everyone would like him better than me and he would take over my life. Scary!

6. Prayer.
How do you think I got my average up to 140? Besides, I need to start praying for important things like getting a girlfriend. [God starts laughing.]

7. Use 100-pound ball with four foot diameter.
Do I look like freakin' Hercules? Forget it.

8. Watch Kingpin and The Big Lebowski before I go bowling.
This one smells like a winner!

Well?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I have a couple of tips to add to your last selection.
Go to the lanes when it is not very busy and while you are bowling a game or two, go and talk to the guy working there. Just say that you're not playing as well as you would like and ask him for a few pointers.
Then take those pointers and practice practice practice. If you play your buddies every other week, then go three times a week to practice until you can beat them like a ... (add un PC statement here) :D.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I found that what helped my game the most was these two bits of advice:

1) Use the arrows to help guide your aim
2) Don't try so hard... it should be a natural movement

I'm not an amazing bowler or anything, but I usually get 1-2 strikes and a bunch of spares.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Bowling, like golf, is all about consistency of motion.

1. The most important thing is to keep your arm straight on the backswing and in a straight pendulum through the motion of bringing the ball forward, down, and release.

Always follow through and work on keeping your arm straght instead of bringing it across your body which is the more natural motion. This works whether you are throwing a straight ball or a hook, though of course for the hook you'll be twisting your wrist and possibly forearm.

2. Once you have achieved some consistency in motion, than you can worry about your placement in the lane. Line your feet up on the same planks each time you roll. Then look where the ball is going most of the time and then adjust your position right or left, until you are hitting the pocket with some consistency.

3. The proper technique is important, but by no means are you going to execute it perfectly every time. So don't worry too much about mistakes.

The last time I bowled on a league, in either 8th or 9th grade, I carried a 177 average. The last couple of times I've gone with friends I've been anywhere from 140's-190's (and that's with house balls, to use my real ball I'd have to have the fingers drilled out a little and since I don't bowl much anymore I've never taken the time to do it. But you can't throw a good hook with a house ball, or at least I can't).

Anyway, we took the kids and their grandparents bowling a few weeks ago and I rolled a 96. I probably haven't thrown a 96 since I was in 5th or 6th grade. Grandma won by throwing around a 117, extremely embarrassing for me.

Knowing what to do and executing it are two very different things. That's why I don't play golf anymore.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
1. The most important thing is to keep your arm straight on the backswing and in a straight pendulum through the motion of bringing the ball forward, down, and release.
On this, of course, I have to agree. It's my biggest problem. The times where I consciously follow that advice, I seem to do okay. Otherwise I have a tendency to throw the ball at an angle. Not good! Then I get frustrated which just aggravates the problem. Argh! :)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Dude, I'm telling you the best thing you can do is watch your arrows. You saw how much I have improved. I did it all by trying to find a consistent point of release. If you concentrate on rolling the ball over the same spot every time, your arm would fly out in either direction much less. Don't look at the pins, watch the lane. Follow the arrows all the way back to the black line, and roll it across the same spot. Play around with each arrow until you find a spot where you hit the pocket with consistency. Then, roll for it every time.

That, and a big thing that helps me, is making sure I "roll" the ball and not drop it. It seems the closer the ball is to the lane when I let her go, the more it does what I want it to.

And if you really are serious about it, then maybe you try a hook. If you have to pull your thumb out at first to make it work, then do it. Get a motion down, and learn your curve. Then, add your thumb back in to give you a consistent release.

If you want, we can go up early Thursday, and work on it. I can show you what I do (although we both know I'm not the best bowler by any stretch), and you can try it out.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'd pick number 8 on SteveGon's original list.
:p)

Seriously, go out with a group of friends and bring some hot girls (who you happen to be friends with) along with you. Form teams and take the hot girls on your team for three reasons.

1. They're hot.

2. Because they're hot, they're distracting to the other team, especially if they start talking trash.

3. I kid you not, every other time, girls will win bowling because they just want to get the ball down there. Guys on the other hand (the ones I hang around with at least) try their best to look "professional" and instead look like jackasses. Guys might get four to five strikes a night, but damn if there are so many gutter balls (no pun intended).

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
...and bring some hot girls (who you happen to be friends with)

'Hot girls' and myself do not exist in the same universe. In my world, there are psychos aplenty, and much megafauna, but no hotties... :frowning:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The answer is the same as the answer the cabbie gave to the guy who wanted to know, ‘how do I get to Carnegie Hall?” ;)

And Richard has provided the answer in advance. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
SteveGon said:
'Hot girls' and myself do not exist in the same universe. In my world, there are psychos aplenty, and much megafauna, but no hotties...
Hmmmm, I don't know what's worse, Steve's situations or mine. I'm surrounded by beautiful girls (in college and high school at least), all wanting to be.....just.....friends. And when I see new hot and attractive girls, they just.....want to be.....friends.

Now look sad and say D'oh

D'oooohhhh.......
:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks