What's new

How Bad is DirectTV (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
I personally dont watch much tv just dvds, but my wife and kids do. We had dishnet before we moved but am thinking about trying them out since it would be free. I also like the fact I can get NFL ticket. What do you think???

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
Not bad.
That took about as much thought as you put into your topic header!

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Seems pretty good actually. Later this year a new satellite is supposed to come on line to "spot beam" the locals. When that happens, the picture should improve on everything else. We'll see.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If any of my DVDs looked as bad as DirecTV or DISH or digital cable, I'd take it right back!
When DirecTV came out they advertised it as 'laserdisc quality'...well, it was close at the time, but it sure isn't any more!

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I hate to admit it but I too am somewhat disappointed in DirecTV picture quality.
------------------
"Hand over the remote and nobody gets hurt !!"

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
The quality of my DirecTV is pretty good. Definitely better than cable (including Digital cable). Some channels, such as National Geographic, are outstanding. I don't expect it to look like DVD and anyone who does is kidding themself. There's definitely a range of quality between the channels with some better than others. There's also plenty of room for improvement but as long as DirecTV is the sole source for NFL Sunday Ticket, I'll be a subscriber.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
There's also plenty of room for improvement but as long as DirecTV is the sole source for NFL Sunday Ticket, I'll be a subscriber.
I second that! NFL and the fact that my cable was terrible is the reason why I switched. I'm very happy with the picture I receive now. Sure, some channels are better than others, but that's the same with cable also.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I thought that DirecTVs picture looked horrible lately until I got a monster power unit. I was getting interference that appeared like compression artifacts.
Also, try turning your sharpness all the way down around 0 - 20. In my system the sharpness adds junk to DirecTv

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I love my Directv system. There are a ton of channels to watch and the 24 hr no interruption or commercial free music channels are really cool. I also like the fact that some channels are broadcasting in Dolby Digital and now HBO too! And for those of you expecting to get dvd quality picture for satellite are way off. Of course dvd is going to be much better than satellite but that is expected. Directv is way better than cable and better than digital cable. Some programs look really good and some look terrible. I just watched The Beast the other night on HBO or Starz and thought it looked pretty good.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

BlaineJ

Grip
It's not bad - but IMHO, it's expensive.
I get basic plus HBO, Local Channels and the Family pack (SoapNet for my wife) and my bills are just over $60 a month. I think that's a rip-off.
The picture's okay. You can definitely see pixalation, especially when there's a lot of movement (ocean waves, etc) or very dark scenes.
But it's much better than the MediaOne Cable TV I left behind 2 years ago.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Ive had DirecTV since its first year and it has certainly gotten worse with time and channels.. I would jump all over Dishnetwork if they had the NFL package.. But........ DirecTV it is for me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks