How Bad is DirectTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Kr, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

I personally dont watch much tv just dvds, but my wife and kids do. We had dishnet before we moved but am thinking about trying them out since it would be free. I also like the fact I can get NFL ticket. What do you think???

2. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

Not bad.
    That took about as much thought as you put into your topic header!

3. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Seems pretty good actually. Later this year a new satellite is supposed to come on line to "spot beam" the locals. When that happens, the picture should improve on everything else. We'll see.

4. Michael St. Clair

If any of my DVDs looked as bad as DirecTV or DISH or digital cable, I'd take it right back!
    When DirecTV came out they advertised it as 'laserdisc quality'...well, it was close at the time, but it sure isn't any more!

5. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I hate to admit it but I too am somewhat disappointed in DirecTV picture quality.
    ------------------
    "Hand over the remote and nobody gets hurt !!"

6. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The quality of my DirecTV is pretty good. Definitely better than cable (including Digital cable). Some channels, such as National Geographic, are outstanding. I don't expect it to look like DVD and anyone who does is kidding themself. There's definitely a range of quality between the channels with some better than others. There's also plenty of room for improvement but as long as DirecTV is the sole source for NFL Sunday Ticket, I'll be a subscriber.

7. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

8. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

9. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I thought that DirecTVs picture looked horrible lately until I got a monster power unit. I was getting interference that appeared like compression artifacts.
    Also, try turning your sharpness all the way down around 0 - 20. In my system the sharpness adds junk to DirecTv

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I love my Directv system. There are a ton of channels to watch and the 24 hr no interruption or commercial free music channels are really cool. I also like the fact that some channels are broadcasting in Dolby Digital and now HBO too! And for those of you expecting to get dvd quality picture for satellite are way off. Of course dvd is going to be much better than satellite but that is expected. Directv is way better than cable and better than digital cable. Some programs look really good and some look terrible. I just watched The Beast the other night on HBO or Starz and thought it looked pretty good.
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"

11. BlaineJ

BlaineJ Extra

It's not bad - but IMHO, it's expensive.
    I get basic plus HBO, Local Channels and the Family pack (SoapNet for my wife) and my bills are just over $60 a month. I think that's a rip-off.
    The picture's okay. You can definitely see pixalation, especially when there's a lot of movement (ocean waves, etc) or very dark scenes.
    But it's much better than the MediaOne Cable TV I left behind 2 years ago.

12. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Ive had DirecTV since its first year and it has certainly gotten worse with time and channels.. I would jump all over Dishnetwork if they had the NFL package.. But........ DirecTV it is for me