What's new

intersting story about directtv instal (1 Viewer)

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I'm getting a job as a satelite dish installer and yesterday was my first day. So, we get to this guys house, and right off the bat he starts blasting Dish network, talking about all the "morons" that work for them that don't know anything. OK, sure, maybe he had a bad experience, but there was no need for what proceeded. He tells us he wants the dirrectv split, each reciever running to two tvs. The wiring (done by the man who lived there before) was all screwy. We spent over FOUR hours checking cables, to see what went where, and what cables split to what tv's...ect... we didn't charge the guy for extra, even though we should have(extra cable,tons of extra time...blah!) anyway, we check the tvs upstairs, they worked fine, we checked the "slave" tv in the kitchen, fine, and the one in the main room. Let me tell you, he had a brand new widescreen, and surround sound (even though he said he would't run the surround speakers because he didn't know how to hook it up and run wires, and he was listening to ALL his sources in 5channel stereo with three speakers!) So i hook up the Directtv through his VCR, and told him I did so he could record shows. Didn't even touch his DVD player. So, we call Directtv to get it activated, and we give the phone to the guy so he can order programming. I don't know what happened next, but he started YELLING at the opperator! telling her the programming 'SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN CARE OF'" and telling her how disspleased he is with her. what a jerk. So we did our final check,all tv's worked fine, and he signed the paper saying he was happy with our job. Then this morning I'm told to call him because there's been a problem with his stuff. Apparently, his upstairs tv doesn't work, his dvd doesn't work, he cant get "5 channel stereo to sound like it should"(even though he is obviously clueless!)and he's pissed that he has to turn on his vcr to watch directtv. Everything worked when we walked out of the room! some people are morons. He couldn't even turn on his tv, he said he had his wife do it! GGAARRRGGG!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I deal with the public in their homes on a professional basis several times a day. The experience you shared with us happens to me maybe one out of a hundred times. Hopefully you're next 99 customers will be a pleasure. And if they are, be sure to thank each and every one of them! Gene

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
After 4 months of installation I said enough is enough. The more $$ they make the bigger the jerks. I had the dish up and pointed etc...and they deceided they didn't want it.
My pay $0 for 4 hours work

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes,

Sounds like the guy is in a lot of emotional pain and just needs some cuddle time.

Dudes,

Chester II

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
You didn't get paid for four hours of installation work? Around here its $40/hr starting from when they(the installers) answer their phone.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Probably for the best Grant B, guys like that can bleed installers dry for years.

I run into them with computers, Audio, and video and everything else all the time.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Shad, Grant, if I may ask a question. Do you ground the dish and RF line, or just the latter? I’ve heard it both ways, that the dish should be grounded, and that it shouldn’t because then it just becomes a “lightning magnet.” I’ve done a few for friends and we grounded the dish, so I many need to go back and make some changes!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Shad R

Supporting Actor
well, a few people actually said they didn't want it grounded, but I was told if they don't say one way or another to go ahead and ground it. It was only my first day, and I really haven't gotten a full understanding of how grounding works, so I couldn't tell ya. sorry. Maybe grant could.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Basically they said we don't pay you to do it so you don't have to. In the Bay Area there is almost no worry about lightning strikes

Throw in nearly 100 miles round trip which they did not reimburise me for and it was a pretty screwed up day.
The place closed their Bay area warehouse and then expected us to drive to Sacramento over 2 hours away. That's when I said Hasta La Vista MoFo.
I have heard of others that pay pretty good. They promised pretty good pay but when you jobs 50 to 75 miles apart, it's pretty hard to make more than 2 installs

Shad R

Supporting Actor
grant, we did five installs in one day. We drove 100 miles for the first one, 30 more for the next two, then about 20 for the last one I did. the other two guys went ahead and drove another 60 to do one more then they had about 2 1/2 hour drive back. it sucked. they got back at midnight, and we left a 5am. no joke, 5.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
You work in teams?
I did all the installs myself.

In the Bay Area that could be 3 to 4 hours easy because of traffic alone.

I assume you have the meter which squeals. I found by using a battery operated $25 RS B&W TV; life was much easier. I had a strap so I could put it around my neck and a jumper to the Xcver. I could watch the meter move while I moved it.
I got a 90 signal on a house surrounded by >100foot Redwood trees like that. Set it all up and then moved the antenna around till I got a signal. Saved a lot of time that way!

Good Luck
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks