I need help with new DLP or I am divorced!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Eric.D, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Eric.D

Eric.D Auditioning

Just brought home a new Samsung 56" DLP to replace an aging Mitsi RPTV. At the same time I replaced my DirectTv box with a phillips cheapie that provides Dobly 5.1 and component out video that I never had that. I am not ready to make the full blown HDTV move yet, but the TV will be there when I do. Here is the problem. The picture on the TV is terrible. I am no AV flunkie; I think this thing is hooked up right. No, I am not using the DVI input, but it is running off component video cables for both the DBS and DVD connected direct from source to monitor. My DVD player is not progressive scan, but I was under the impression that this particular set would upconvert 480i to at least 480p, thereby eliminating the need to upgrade DVD players for now and provide better DBS picture by default. The DBS signal is fed through a Monster 3600 power supply prior to the DBS receiver,and all components are plugged into it. The picture on both inputs appears equally crappy on normal or widescreen, lots of pixelation, ghosting and grain. Anybody have any suggestions? After dropping 4 grand on the set as part of a $7000 HT upgrade, I have worse picture than a very old RPTV with Composite video feed! The wife is NOT happy. How can a TV look sooooo good at the store running a DVD image, come home and output a DVD image that looks soooo bad? I have checked all possible connections twice and am looking for help before I am thrown out of the house!

Thank you in advance for any replies,
    Eric

2. John S

John S Producer

This one? HLN567W??

This set has one input for DVD 480i / 480p, I'm assume'n your using it for the DVD. The set converts to 720p, it seems.
    Have you view'd any HD on it yet? I see it has a built in tuner.
    It is a pretty new set, you may be giving the first opinions of it here.

3. Eric.D

Eric.D Auditioning

John, that is the model. I am using the 408i/480p component input for the DVD but the output is something less than stellar. I am not subjectively evaluating the picture, there is something really wrong here. The display model in the store was demo'ed using component video feeds off a preogressive scan DVD player. I believed that the upconverting feature of the TV would handle the signal from my non-progressive DVD to replicate something close what I was seeing in the demo. I even had them switch DVD players to the new Samsung w/DVI out to see if there was a huge difference in the component VS. DVI and was not impressed with the differences. The picture was that good at the store, but man what I have got is not even close.

Interference?
    Defective faroudja processing?
    Bad connections?
    Too long of a cable run (26 ft)?

I'm stumped (and frustrated)!

Eric

4. John S

John S Producer

Well, I can say that some really el cheapo DVD players look like total crud when you try to use the Component Video Out.

Aside from that, I don't understand it. You could always go back to the store and buy the player they were using.

At least it is light if you want to return it. lol

5. John S

John S Producer

There has to be something to it.. I mean my realatively cheapo 60" Philips is amazing on DVD being fed 480i via component video.

6. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Have you tried switching back to the old DTV STB? I would give a try at using a composite connection from the DVD player to the TV....I realize that sounds bass ackwards, but it may actually improve matters....can't get worse, right?

Mort

7. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

Hmm. Have you changed the picture settings at all from the way it was shipped? Even good source material like DVDs and DBS can look pretty awful when brightness, contrast, and color are maxed out (as they often are in the factory settings). This would definitely make the picture look pixellated/grainy. However, the "ghosting" is a little weird; that's usually something you get from analog sources. Anyway, try messing with the picture settings (turn brightness/contrast down) and see if that helps. There's always a chance the set is defective.

8. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

I just bought the Samsung HLN-437W along with a Sony SAT HD300 (not hooked up yet) and I'm impressed with the picture. I played Monsters Inc first having used an S-Video connection from my receiver and the picture was incredible even from my Pioneer F727 nonprogressive scan DVD player. True, the regular cable takes a little getting used to (not the best picture) but HD will kick. Tomorrow I will hook up the Sony HD300 and bring in my Toshiba progressive scan DVD/Tivo from the bedroom and see how it looks.

Mark

9. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

26 x 3 feet worth of cable between the DVD player and the TV set (and likewise, between the DBS box and the TV)?

Educated guess: That much cable may act as an antenna, picking up signals from nearby homes and apartments. It may also be attenuating the signal strength. Try things out with the DVD player connected to the TV set by short, normal (