What's new

Horror/Gore DVD Shopping PART II (1 Viewer)

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
American Nightmare sounds awsome
Could you post a link to some reviews please ?
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
[Edited last by Ricky f on November 09, 2001 at 07:58 PM]

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Folks, I know from reading this thread here, as well as those at other sites (Friday the 13th, for one), that there are a lot of pent-up emotions about the whole horror genre. Trust me, it is not unlike other genres - there are quite a few folks with zero interest in horror that feel just like you, except about their stuff. So do not feel singled out in that regard; having the wishes of fans respected and followed at the studios is still (and will for the foreseeable future continue to be) an uphill battle. We want our movies, preferably just so; they have those and also different motivations, some of which we know, others of which we have no inkling. However, the folks at the studios are by no means evil incarnate - they are people like you and me, who have a job to do. And that job is sometimes very, very difficult.
We are very lucky to even get a response from some of the folks at the studios. In years past, not even that was available.
That being said, let me address some of the more immediate concerns being brought up in this thread, respectively, around the nonparticipation of Wes Ray:
1. The story behind Wes' removal from HTF is a wee bit more complicated than what is being presented here. There is a fair bit going on behind the scenes - and the lady ain't sung yet. Please do trust us that we are trying to maintain this board as a great place for constructive discussion, and that that is essentially the goal of every moderator on HTF.
Incidentally, that one post with some details on the Friday13th board was not by Steve Tannehill. He actually was quite upset when he found out about the post...
2. There is no such thing as a particular bent on eliminating horror fans. While I personally do not care much for horror flicks, I can understand other folks' liking them, and horror flicks as such are perfectly decent topics of discussion here. They are quite welcome! However, when such discussion goes beyond what is normally accepted for any type of movie - such as personal attacks, continued requests beyond the realm of reasonable, etc. - then we do tend to step in. We want this board to be available - and comfortable - to all comers, whether fans or producers, whether young or old, whether budding actors or veterans of the trade; anyone, really, who is interested in home theater. Anyone who prefers to make it uncomfortable to other members is playing with fire - and that holds true here, at HTT, and any other site that prefers adult, mature conversations.
As people well know, sometimes stepping over such boundaries entails warnings, on a very few occasions it entails immediate (and irrevocable) removal. Usually someone has the chance for redress before being permanently removed. And such is the case here.
3. Ricky, if Wes has anything to say on this board, let him do what he needs to do.
4. MaxY: huh? Buddy, where are you coming from? You're an admin yourself, you should know that what is going on publicly is usually just the tip of the iceberg. To arrive at the conclusions you did... takes a lot of assuming. And to then post them... Go drink a cold beer, friend. If you know a good bar, tell me where, maybe we can hoist one together!
biggrin.gif

---
We certainly do not want to stifle good, solid discussion - such as is amply present in this thread. All we really want is for all members to enjoy themselves, in a friendly, safe environment. Unfortunately, there are some folks who do not wish to keep that kind of environment alive. They would rather pursue their own personal agendas, at the cost of that of the community. That is the reason why the very few rules we have, exist; that is why there is a moderating staff.
And, as always, if you have issues with a moderator - then please take it up with them by e-mail.
Mike

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Before this thread gets out of hand to the
point where it will have to be closed, let me
back up Mike Voigt's reply.
Wes Ray getting banned from this forum is a lot
more involved than we have posted here -- and
trust us -- he was given every opportunity to
redeem himself.
Let's stop the arguments about why he was banned.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Julie K

Screenwriter
quote:
I have yet to watch Deep Red and Dead Alive, but maybe I can fit one in this weekend.
[/quote]
John, if you like Dead Alive (and I'll bet you will if you like Evil Dead 2), you have got to get Bad Taste when it comes out in 10 days (yes, I'm counting down :) ) It's not as gory as Dead Alive, but it's a lot more fun. But trust me, it does not disappoint in the gore department. Everyone reading this thread must take a look at this if they haven't already.
quote:
(I have to do all my horror/gore watching either alone, or with a third party from outside the household b/c my wife will NOT watch any of those movies--you know, the bad dream thing
[/quote]
It's funny, but when horror movie elements get incorporated into my dreams, I have a great night! Hey, it's like my own personal horror movie! Or maybe I shouldn't be admitting to this sort of thing
crazy.gif

And everyone, posters to this thread and mods, please don't close this thread. There's a real sense of community here in addition to all the wonderful DVD and movie discussions. There's so much good advice regarding the genre in this thread that I would be very sad if it were closed.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"
[Edited last by Julie K on November 10, 2001 at 08:35 AM]

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
One cannot forget about Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. A real rollercoaster ride of a horror movie as you'll likely to ever see. The Evil Dead. From the moment the demons show up its non stop terror. The rapidly decomposing demons at the end are astonishing in their originality. Day of the Dead. The only(?) horror film where ALL the characters know whats going on from the get go, yet it delivers in spades, one of Romero's best.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Wow! Ricky thanks for the link. That is some trailer. Has it gotten an official release date yet?
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
Indeed I have the Convent, nice campy low budget horror, not to be missed but no classic.
Just saw GINGER SNAPS !!!
Yes, this is more like it, I ordered the Canadian version 16:9 anamorphic and nice picture, but bad black levels way too light.
I did not know the title Back from the dead, will check that one out (when buying Buffy season 3
drool.gif
The funny thing is 90% of my collection is region 1, and the only PAL's I own are some disney's and mostly horror.
Especialy the Italians like house by the Cemetary, city of the living Death, return of the living death etc. I hope region 1 will catch up for you guys, these are great flix.
Well have to go on with my horror survival guide :D.
Greetings from Holland,
Frank

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
It is an awsome trailer indeed
Jason X has no release date yet. Definately early next year.
I am guessing Febuary

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
got the 'Beyond' tin at Best Buy today for $14.99... thanks Best Buy! Wow... quite a film... the gore does not disappoint either.
...looking forward to getting 'Bad Taste' and 'The Stunt Man' on the 20th!
biggrin.gif

------------------

robpic.jpg

My DVD Collection/ AIM: roblutter/ email:[email protected]
"Why, that's the biggest Kahn since Genghis" -Sealab 2021

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I too have The Beyond LE Tin and absolutely love this movie. I haven't seen much of Fulci, but good god this movie is awesome. The whole opening is great and the end... phenominal!
I just had to reiterate that feeling for this movie.
------------------
"People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
Julie,
Did some search of BACK FROM THE DEATH, but the only movie that turns up on the imdb is a movie from 1957 (is this the one ???).
Can you give me some more information like director etc.
Greetings from Holland,
Frank
------------------

Julie K

Screenwriter
Frank,
Back From the Dead (not Death) was directed by Craig Godfrey and released sometime in the late 90s. It's an Australian film and the DVD was released by Dragon Entertainment. I like it, but it does have quite a bit of silliness that might turn some people off. It's like an extremely gory cartoon :) The DVD cover features a hairy guy slurping up brains through a straw.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
it sure sounds like Steve T is intent on doing away with the Horror Fans at HTF.
I want to assure everyone that this is not the case. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email me.
Regards,
Steve

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I meant dead :D.
Both show up empty on IMDB.
I will try to get my hands on the movie over here.
The sillier the better.
Greetings from region 2,
Frank

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
FYI, Boltneck will be on HBO Tuesday 11/12/01 at 2pm(est).
Anyone ever hear of Freezer? I see Universe Laser is putting out an R0 dvd of it. Looks kinda creepy.

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
Do I hate this thread :D,
Went shopping and scored :
Silver Bullet (Stephen King), Christina's house (from the creator of Poltergeist), Nightmare City, Phantom of the Opera.
Was looking for Back from the Dead, but this appears to be a German DVD, will look for it when I'm in Germany again.
Thanks for keeping the best genre alive.
Greetings from Holland,
Frank

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Hello Friends :)
Been awhile. I've been busy with some moving stuff, and haven't had a chance to participate as I would like.
I recently purchased Possession, and I am eager to start it tomorrow night. (Monday Night Football is in the way.) I understand that I am in for a few quality grisly scenes. :) Anyone care to comment on the video and audio quality?
I happened to catch the Dario Argento doc (Dario Argento: An Eye For Horror) on the IFC channel before the Halloween season was out. I thought it was mildly informative, but probably well-trod terrain for the long term Argento-phile. The parts with Asia Argento were interesting.
Overall though, it was not as _revealing_ as I would have liked. Very little analysis, a lot of praise. I've read that the documentarians made a mistake regarding the "tricolour process used" for Suspiria. I'm no expert so I cannot comment further.
Only a mild recommendation. If you can catch it as a re-run, by all means watch. Otherwise, not worth your purchasing dollars.
------------------
Best, Sam

Rich Corle

Stunt Coordinator
as far as American Nightmare goes, it's not a slasher at all. It's a documentary made by IFC last year about the impact of american horror films on the country. It's very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks