What's new

Blu-ray Review Halloween II Collector's Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Picking up exactly where the original left off, Halloween II is a serviceable sequel, continuing the story of Michael Meyers on that fateful night of October 31, 1978 in Haddonfield, Illinois. Scream! Factory’s 2-disc set is a marked improvement over last year’s 30th Anniversary Edition from Universal, with an improved picture and lossless audio, and an excellent making-of documentary.

Halloween II Collector's Edition

Studio: Scream! Factory (via Shout! Factory, under license from Universal)
US BD Release Date: September 18, 2012
Original Release Year: 1981
Rated: R
Running Time: 93 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono)
Subtitles: None

Movie: 3 out of 5
John Carpenter achieved success in 1978 when Halloween, made for a mere $300,000, became the highest grossing independent film at that time, raking in $47 million during its original release. Producers Moustapha Akkad and Irwin Yablans approached John Carpenter about a sequel, but Carpenter made The Fog at Avco-Embassy instead. Allegedly, Carpenter was supposed to make The Fog with Yablans, who sued Carpenter, and the result was an agreement for Carpenter to write and produce Halloween II. And, at times, the film does feel like a contractual agreement, particularly in its confinement of Jamie Lee Curtis to a hospital bed through much of the movie, giving her very little to do but collect a paycheck.

The movie opens with a recap of the last few minutes of Halloween, much of it from the actual film itself, with Dr. Loomis (Donald Pleasance) shooting Michael Meyers seven times (!) and saving Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis). But when Dr. Loomis storms out the front door, Meyers is nowhere to be found, only an imprint in the lawn where he fell from the second story balcony. An ambulance arrives to take Laurie to Haddonfield Memorial Hospital, and along the way one of the paramedics, Jimmy (Lance Guest), develops a crush on her, checking up on her much to the dismay of Nurse Alves (Gloria Gifford). Meanwhile, Meyers is literally hacking his way through the neighborhood on his way to the hospital, stealing a knife from Mrs. Elrod (character actress Lucille Benson). Methodically, Meyers takes out literally the entire hospital staff before the final showdown between Laurie Strode, Dr. Loomis, and Michael Meyers. The deaths in Halloween II are much more violent and gory than what we saw in the original, and the imitators that followed Halloween, which effectively launched the slasher sub-genre, are the likely reason for the increase. Films like Friday the 13th, Terror Train, My Bloody Valentine, and Prom Night had taken movie gore to new heights (or lows), and Carpenter felt the only way for the sequel to compete in the marketplace was to give the audience what they wanted.

First-time director Rick Rosenthal (now a veteran television director) does a good job of replicating the mood and look of the first installment, but he had the luck of working with many of the same crew members from the original, especially cinematographer Dean Cundey, who gave many of Carpenter’s early films a dark and gritty look. John Carpenter was reportedly unhappy with Rosenthal’s cut of the film, and actually shot some additional and alternate sequences for added shock value. The result is a movie that works as a continuation of the first film, but really doesn’t break any new ground, and in many ways feels like a retread of the original.

Video: 4 out of 5
Shout! Factory has taken the same transfer used in last year’s 30th Anniversary Edition released by Universal, and cleaned it up a bit to remove many of the scratches and dirt that were reportedly visible on that earlier release. When this was announced on Shout! Factory’s website and Facebook page, fans had a knee-jerk reaction, fearing that the result would be an abomination littered with artifacts, edge enhancement, grain removal, and a loss of detail. I’m happy to report that that is not the case. Shout! Factory (or whoever they hired for the cleanup) did a marvelous job, removing most of the annoying dirt and scratches while retaining detail and grain. The 1080p transfer, using the AVC codec, approximates the film’s intended theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1, replicating how Dean Cundey’s shadowy cinematography would look in a properly tuned theatre. Blacks are nice and deep, shadows are well-detailed, and colors are consistent.

Audio: 4 out of 5
The real improvement, though, is in the new DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless soundtrack. Bass is deep, with excellent use of LFE and surround effects, and the score by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth resonates thanks to the increased fidelity and dynamic range. Dialogue remains crisp and clear, directed mostly to the center channel. The track is definitely not reference material, but that has more to do with the limitations of the source material than anything else. A DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono soundtrack has also been included in this release.

Special Features: 4 out of 5
Audio Commentary With Director Rick Rosenthal and Actor Leo Rossi: Of the two commentary tracks included with this release, this is the more engaging one, thanks to the friendship of these two men and the mostly fond on-set memories they had while making the film. However, many of the stories told are repeated in the behind the scenes featurette.

Audio Commentary With Stunt Co-ordinator Dick Warlock: Robert V. Galluzzo (Icons of Fright) hosts the track, keeping veteran stunt man Warlock engaged. The two discuss Warlock’s approach to playing “The Shape” (aka Michael Meyers), how many of the stunts were performed, and Warlock’s long association with both John Carpenter and Kurt Russell.

The Nightmare Isn’t Over (HD; 44:55): Director Rick Rosenthal, DP Dean Cundey, composer Alan Howarth, Lance Guest, producer Irwin Yablans, Leo Rossi, and Nancy Stephens discuss making the sequel, the problems they encountered, the reaction to the film, and the legacy. One of the most interesting reveals is when Cundey mentions turning down lensing Poltergeist in favor of Halloween II.

Horror’s Hallowed Grounds: Revisiting the Locations of Halloween II (HD; 13:10): Sean Clark hosts this look at how many of the locations used in Halloween II exist today.

Still Gallery (HD; 5:02): Stills from the film’s press kit are presented here for about 5 seconds each, and you can use the chapter skip button to page through them faster if you’d like.

TV Spots (SD; 1:41): Two TV trailers and a network promo are included, obviously taken from an old VHS tape.

Radio Spots (3:17) Six radio commercials are presented, four in English and two in Spanish.

Alternate Ending (HD; 1:44): Rosenthal’s happier ending is provided here, with optional director commentary.

Deleted Scenes (HD; 8:06): Rosenthal provides optional commentary for this collection of deleted scenes, many of which were restored in the TV broadcast version.

Theatrical Trailer (HD; 2:18): The film’s original red-band trailer is presented in washed-out and cropped 16:9 full screen.

Network Broadcast TV Version of Halloween II (DVD; 1:31:11): The NBC network purchased the broadcast rights to Halloween II, and ended up having to use much of Rosenthal’s original cut to squeak by Standards and Practices. That cut is presented on a DVD in 1.33:1 pan and scan and Dolby Digital 2.0 mono.

Original Screenplay: The film’s screenplay is available as a PDF on the DVD-Rom portion of the Broadcast TV Version disc.

Overall: 4 out of 5
Fans of the film who did not pick up last year’s 30th Anniversary Edition would be best best served picking up this recent Collector’s Edition from Shout! Factory, with slightly improved video, much improved audio, and a great set of special features.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Sounds good. I guess we're trading Terror in the Aisles for the improvements and the extra features?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Chas in CT said:
Sounds good.  I guess we're trading Terror in the Aisles for the improvements and the extra features?
Why trade it in? Can't you just keep it for Terror in the Aisles and buy the new disc as well? :confused: lol. Seriously the Uni Halloween II is selling for under $10 new, not much you're going to get for it anyway. :D

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Network Broadcast TV Version of Halloween II (DVD; 1:31:11): The NBC network purchased the broadcast rights to Halloween II, and ended up having to use much of Rosenthal’s original cut to squeak by Standards and Practices. That cut is presented on a DVD in 1.33:1 pan and scan and Dolby Digital 2.0 mono.
Not to be picky, but Halloween II never aired on NBC (or any network for that matter)...it only ran in syndication through Universal's own package on various local channels (like WPIX). :)

Mark_TB

Second Unit
A quick question for those familiar with it: Is Terror in the Aisles worth owning? From what I understand, it's basically a compilation of clips. Is it entertaining enough to pick up the previous release for ten bucks?
- Mark

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
A compilation of clips is exactly what it is (with a few extra bits inside a theater featuring Donald Pleasance and Nancy Allen thrown in for good measure). People like to refer to it as a Documentary which it is not. I'm glad to own it for nostalgia's sake but you may not enjoy it as much.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Mike_Richardson /t/323874/halloween-ii-collectors-edition-blu-ray-review#post_3977537
Why trade it in? Can't you just keep it for Terror in the Aisles and buy the new disc as well?

Sorry, I only meant that the new disc itself "trades" one for the other in its use of space. I guess I should actually watch TitA to see if it actually means much to me, and if it does, I'll consolidate space by putting both into a two-disc case.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I watched this a few days ago the PQ is pretty poor in places especially around the 16:11 mark for about a minute there are some noticeable encoding errors or print damage where there are some highly visible rectangular shape dark (on light background) large blocks of pixels which look like they are going to break up then go away. I also own the 2011 BD & this has the same issue but its not as noticeable on that encode so not sure this is the same transfer or not.
I was so disappointed I did not bother looking at anything else on the BD's as I felt I wasted my money unfortunately.
If you own the 2011 BD I would advise against buying this unless you must have the extras or 4:3 AR TV cut (which is a 4GB file & poor encode on the 2nd disc & thats all it contains the rest of the disc is empty!!).
Such a shame as Halloween3 BD is almost perfect.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Warren said:
I watched this a few days ago the PQ is pretty poor in places especially around the 16:11 mark for about a minute there are some noticeable encoding errors or print damage where there are some highly visible rectangular shape dark (on light background) large blocks of pixels which look like they are going to break up then go away. I also own the 2011 BD & this has the same issue but its not as noticeable on that encode so not sure this is the same transfer or not.
Is that when they're drawing blood from Laurie when she arrives at the hospital? That glitch was on both of the previous DVDs (and I'd bet the VHS) too. I'm no authority but is it possible that it's negative damage of some kind?

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
TravisR said:
Is that when they're drawing blood from Laurie when she arrives at the hospital? That glitch was on both of the previous DVDs (and I'd bet the VHS) too. I'm no authority but is it possible that it's negative damage of some kind?
Yep thats the part where she is in hospital on the trolley but it looks worse on the new transfer to me vs 2011 BD.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That appears, at least to my eyes (and I really had to look for it) as possible water damage inherent in the print or camera negative. Most film stocks used in the mid-1970s to the early 1980s were very unstable, too.

Originally Posted by Paul_Warren /t/323874/halloween-ii-collectors-edition-blu-ray-review#post_3977753
I was so disappointed I did not bother looking at anything else on the BD's as I felt I wasted my money unfortunately.
If you own the 2011 BD I would advise against buying this unless you must have the extras or 4:3 AR TV cut (which is a 4GB file & poor encode on the 2nd disc & thats all it contains the rest of the disc is empty!!).
Such a shame as Halloween3 BD is almost perfect.

That's too bad, because you are missing out on a really good documentary. Also, I think you need to look at the TV Version as a bonus feature and not an alternate cut. That is why it was issued on a DVD using an old broadcast master from the mid 1980s.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I find it odd that the 2.0 here is listed as mono when Halloween II was Dolby originally.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek /t/323874/halloween-ii-collectors-edition-blu-ray-review#post_3979392
I find it odd that the 2.0 here is listed as mono when Halloween II was Dolby originally.

Nowhere in the specs on the packaging or on the disc menu does it actually indicate mono or stereo for the 2.0 track. It is a nice, clean track, but definitely mono. When played with my receiver set for Dolby ProLogic II, the only active speaker was the center channel. I spot checked several moments on the disc where the 5.1 had directional effects, and yet the 2.0 track was still confined to the center.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Warren said:
Yep thats the part where she is in hospital on the trolley but it looks worse on the new transfer to me vs 2011 BD.
I looked at both BRs yesterday and noticed the blocking on both; it's marginally worse but not that bad. There's also some weird compression artifacts at around the 40 minute mark where Donald Pleasance is looking at the charred skeleton at the coroner's office that aren't on the Universal disc. That being said, the Shout! disc is so much cleaner than the Universal disc-- just compare the two versions of the coroner scene for proof. Gone are the white dots and scuffs.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr /t/323874/halloween-ii-collectors-edition-blu-ray-review#post_3979499

Nowhere in the specs on the packaging or on the disc menu does it actually indicate mono or stereo for the 2.0 track. It is a nice, clean track, but definitely mono. When played with my receiver set for Dolby ProLogic II, the only active speaker was the center channel. I spot checked several moments on the disc where the 5.1 had directional effects, and yet the 2.0 track was still confined to the center.
Well the old Universal dvd I have is in Dolby Surround (Halloween III of course isn't). Very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks