Horror/Gore DVD Shopping PART II

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
My Good Buddy Wes Ray has been banned from the HTF. I am not going into details.
He requested me to post this good bye to all us Horror fans.
"Hey guys, due to a recent disagreement with the Owners and a Moderator of the HTF, I have been suspended until further notice. During my absence, I will miss you guys in this thread. Keep this thread alive. Horror is the best damn genre of film, and that's never been more apparent to me than in the last day and a half. I hope to hear from you all soon. Any of you who still wanna talk horror, can reach me at mailto:[email protected]
www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Just saw "There's nothing out there", THIS IS FUN.
Thanks for you'all for giving me the tip of this great movie. Especially the one-liners are hilarious.
More tips in this genre please ?
For people who are looking in the Humour/horror genre, I liked very much:
Bad Taste, Boltneck, Idle hands, Evil dead (all 3), There's nothing out there, dead alive.
For people who did not yet seen any of these movies, get out and buy them.
Greetings from Holland,
Frank
------------------

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Reaction score
quote: I have been hearing that a movie called 'Men behind the Sun' is pretty gory but I haven't seen it mentioned here. Can anyone give this movie an endorsement?[/quote]
I'll let you know this weekend how it is, as I'll be watching it on Saturday. It looks really nasty; sorta like a Far East version of Salo. You can order it from http://www.diabolikdvd.com.
[Edited last by Greg Yurkovic on November 08, 2001 at 01:44 PM]

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
1. I picked up The Beyond LE tin a couple of days ago from BestBuy for $15. Looking around, it seems that this is typically being sold for $20+ most places. Is there a reason for this markdown such as a new improved version coming out?
I have to believe this is some kind of error and that they have priced the tins at the same price as the regular edition. Either that or they just decided to liquidate their complete inventory of Beyond tins.
------------------

Adrian Jones

Julie K

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Frank,
Since you're in Holland, you should take a look at a couple of R2 releases.
The Convent - this is very, very funny. Demonic nuns, wanna-be Satanists who work at Dairy Queen, and buckets of blood.
Back From the Dead - this is very much a Dead Alive/Bad Taste/Monty Python inspired movie. Very funny but also very silly. Lots of gore.
I'll have to check out Boltneck. I hadn't heard about that one.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

M

MaxY

I hope he did not get banned just because he was pushing for some Horror DVDs. I hope that HTF isn't hoping the horror fans just disappear.
I have not seen anything other then his quote above but it sure sounds like Steve T is intent on doing away with the Horror Fans at HTF. That would be an awful thing if it is true. I wonder if he plans to start knocking us off one by one.

Max
------------------

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Max, I think it is because he made a comment about Martin Blythe at the story thread post and It was meant as a joke but the admins did not see it that way
They also searched some other boards for things he has said about HTF and used those.
It is a shame really, We helped each other out.
Regards,
Ricky

M

MaxY

This is a shame as he was a good contributor to this thread and the forum.
Why do I now feel that some of us in this thread will hunted down and removed like a bad slasher flick.

I think that as a tribute to our fallen comrade we need to kick this horror thread back into gear again. I have a stack of unwatch Horror DVDs I need to find time to watch and will make time this weekend to get through and post on at least two or three.
It seem the thread started to slow down when my latest construction project started. The Job is taking up a bunch of my time and I have to leave the house every morning before 6:00 to get there on time and I have not been able to stay up late watching Horror DVDs because of it.
I have taken tomorrow off and plan to go fishing in the morning and maybe when I get home I will watch and post on one of the many Great Horror DVDs I have stacked up in my yet to be viewed pile.

Max
------------------

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on November 08, 2001 at 10:49 PM]
[Edited last by MaxY on November 09, 2001 at 05:55 AM]

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing about some of your comments.
I watched Phantasm : SE DVD a couple days ago, Interesting movie with a great DVD. It is only $9 in most places, Definately worth a purchase.
MGM are supposed to be releasing The Burning UNCUT DVD next year but I have not heard much.
A DVD company called Dragon has released The Burning UNCUT on DVD. If anyone is a die hard fan of this movie, let me know and I will post the link for you. It is a little expensive though.
Max, Are you planning on picking up Jeepers Creepers when it is available ?
Ricky

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
I watched Ginger Snaps last night. It was a pretty good movie, but I had a couple of technical questions about it. It seemed to be 4x3 and there was some stuff in the credits about Canadian TV. Was this an actual film release? Is it really 4x3 or is the American DVD panned and scanned? Just curious.
------------------

Adrian Jones

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
The american Artisan release is Full Frame
Go for the Canadian WIDESCREEN SE DVD if you want to buy it
Regards,
Ricky

Mark Zimmer

Producer
Reaction score
Julie (or anyone),
is there any release of The Convent rumored in the works for Region 1? If not, I'll have to pick up the R2....I'm assuming it's OAR; are there any extras on the R2 disc?
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Julie K

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Mark,
The good news is that The Convent will be released in December to R1 with a director's commentary, anamorphic transfer, and extras. The R2 disc is barebones and fullframe.
The bad news is that it will be cut to get an R rating!
Some of those extras will be the deleted gore scenes. The director claims that it's only some very small cuts.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Reaction score
Ginger Snaps:
The back of the Artisan release says it was filmed 4:3... The credits made it look it was made for the TV. Kinda like HBO specials. The cover just sucks.
I am happy with my Canadian DVD!

John Zachary

Extra
Reaction score
That truly is a shame about Wes. I feel that I must start posting more to take up some slack.

Max, my horror collection is building up now, thanks to you and the others who have posted here. I have to say that There's Nothing Out There is a fav now, as is Suspiria, the Evil Dead series, and the NOTLD/Dawn of the Dead series. I have yet to watch Deep Red and Dead Alive, but maybe I can fit one in this weekend. (I have to do all my horror/gore watching either alone, or with a third party from outside the household b/c my wife will NOT watch any of those movies--you know, the bad dream thing--and my son is still a little young (1 1/2)).
Keep up the great posts everyone.
John

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Alright Max !
How about you pass a fish that you caught, we will light a fire, bring in a TV and DVD player and watch some Horror movies.
Have a great weekend MAX and keep us posted
Regards,
Ricky

Justin_S

Producer
Reaction score
There is a really cool looking independent slasher film called AMERICAN NIGHTMARE that will be hitting DVD in December. The film has gotten some great reviews, and it looks excellent. Another huge reason I want to see this flick is because the ending was shot in the old high school building here in my hometown of Cleburne. I got to meet some crew members, and it was very cool. It is going to be really cool watching a horror sequence that was shot somewhere I pass by constantly. I'm hoping the film is as good as I've heard others say.
Have any of you seen the very cool horror film KOLOBOS? If you have not seen this awesome, gory, mindfuck of a horror film, I highly recommend you rent it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! It is a wonderful gem of a film, that you really should check out! I was really surprised by how great it turned out to be. A must-see for fellow horror fans in my opinion!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Just saw that KOLOBOS is on Showtime (dss channel 542) on Nov. 11th at 1:25am-2:55am. FYI

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotorMikey