What's new

Horror film I.D. help (fall 2010) (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Last summer there was a commercial airing before trailers in theaters. It showed a girl who decided to meet all her Facebook friends - the ones she's never met. I never understood what this was a commercial for but there it is (it wasn't a movie but might have been an internet short film advertising something else, like Spike Jonze's I'm Here). Shortly after a movie trailer appeared along the same lines. This guy decides to go meet a girl who's a Facebook (or other anonymous social networking site) friend that he's never met because she's hot. She lives on some farm in the middle of nowhere. He knocks on the door and the next thing you know we're smack dab in the middle of a cabin-in-the-woods-type horror movie trailer.

I saw this trailer twice then never again. I was curious to see it or at least read up on it when it came out but I have no idea what it was called. And it's hard to search for it as every result brings up "The Social Network."

Anyone remember this trailer?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The movie is Catfish, and that trailer is easily the most misleading I've ever seen.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hmm... You are correct about the trailer. It kind of reminds me of a Blair Witch Project movie or Paranormal type.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Ah! thanks. Misleading as the movie is nothing like it?

It gets a decent IMDb rating, but the boards are full of people complaining about it. Apparently the filmmakers insist it's real, which I never assumed from the trailer.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Yes, it's misleading in that way. The trailer makes it looks like a horror movie, as you say, or at least a suspenseful thriller. There is absolutely nothing like that in Catfish. I was extremely disappointed.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Watched the trailer again. When he walks up to the garage and peers in everything about the setup screams "bloodbath!" but, really, there's nothing in the rest of the trailer to indicate it goes that way. Watching it again I even recall thinking that, yet my impression months later was still that it was horror. No wonder nothing came up in my searches for horror trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks