What's new

Horizontal banding? (1 Viewer)

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all, I have a panny 47wx49, I've had it for about 2 years now. And I've noticed it has started to show banding lines pretty bad (white faint lines scrolling). Could this come from interference? Especially on HD. What causes this, and how can I eliminate it? I've tried unplugging items, new cables, Please help? Thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
Interference and ground issues are the two most likely culprits. Figuring these out can be tough.

Best of luck.

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
I worked on it for about 2 hours and I can't figure it out. One thing I did notice was it's only present when watching tv in 1080i when I switch the receiver to 480i or 480p no banding. What do you think????

John S

Senior HTF Member
That usually means the cables your using for HD or path does not have enough bandwidth and/or shielding.

Did you have another set of quality component cables to try???

To see if it could be pure interference, you would have to at least temporarliy try relocating the display and HD feed to see if it helps.

These problems can be strange beasts. Somewhat telling in and of itself that it only happens at 1080i.

A Zenith DVB-318 player would give you another 1080i source to see if it is the display causing the issue. I mean it could be, I suppose.

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to try some more cables. But I do have a lite-on 2001 dvd player that upconverts to a 1080i source. I get a small amount of banding from it. I was wondering if it has something to do with the television itself (possible circuitry). My other dvd player does not do it (480p). I coming to my wits end. This thing is driving me crazy!!!!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. really it could be the display. That is the tough part for sure.

I have worked for 4 days straight nailing down such things, even after I knew for a fact that it was interference, I actually brought the display to my house, and it was perfect, so I knew something else was up. Ended up being something involved on a water softener with that particular person. There was no fix, they just lived with it.

But when I unplugged the water softener, the problem was gone. Talk about a PITA!!!! Really upset me, I went through all the trouble and for free, only for them to say they would live with it after I figured out what it was. I was steamed, I am over it now. Ok, well almost over it now anyways. I mean, I'd a thrown that water softner out to the curb for refuse pickup if it had been me.

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John, that's unbelievable that the problem was coming from a water softner. Was the location of the softner close to the display device? I'm thinking it might be in the 1080i circuitry. I decided to watch a dvd in my JVC player 480p mode and the picture is incredible. I think I might trouble shoot a little more and then just call a service tech. I did purchase the the extended warranty (it ends in November).

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Did you try unplugging the antenna cable (this would include a radio connection also)? That's the most common cause of ground loops. The second most common is component cables to one device and s-video to another. More than one device can be causing a problem, so when unplugging cables, don't plug anything back in until you've tried them all.

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes.. It was a location thing to the Water Softener...

By direct distance, only about 12'I'd guess. even though they were on different floors even.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah.. Steve.. he has been working at it for a while. I am assuming he did a complete only one thing hooked up at a time diagnosis early on in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks