What's new

hooking up xbox live (1 Viewer)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting xbox live for christmas and im in a bit of a dilemma as to how to hook it up. my computer with the cable modem is about 75 feet away from my xbox so I dont want to run a long cable across the floor. Can I just buy a cable modem and run the cable through a splitter so it will go to my tv and the modem? i didnt know if a cable modem needs to be hooked to a computer or not.

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
I have mine setup on a wireless network. You can do it pretty cheap now. I have the D-Link Airplus (DWL 614+, DWL 810+) stuff which runs a little faster than the standard 802.11b. I connect at speeds around 4mbps which is much faster than my internet connection. You can get 802.11g but I dont think its worth the money. The range isnt as good and your internet connection is already the bottleneck on a 802.11b network. 802.11g is good if you are transfering large files between computers on the same network. Long story short you can be wireless for less than $100. Oh the D-link 810+ is a ethernet-wireless bridge that is meant for gaming consoles. I have used this setup for a year and have had no problems.

If you connect a second cable modem you will probably need to pay for another IP address which is usually around $10 per month.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Wireless accessories are widely available now as suggested above. Try that first and see how it works.

Moving to hardware section.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yes, can have the modem connected directly to the xbox with no pc, I've been doing this for a while now (because I haven't bought a router). And you can have a splitter going from your tv to the modem.

If you unplug your pc NIC and plug the modem into the back of the xbox, you have to reset the modem by unplugging it. And also you have to have a specfic type of coax to run to the modem, any type won't do it, it will recieve but not send.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok thanks for your help. I found out that it does cost extra money to hook up another modem and found that the wireless option is cheaper and would wind up paying for itself. So I am trying to figure out exactly what i'm going to use in my setup, I like the D-link setup tht mark has, but I am also looking at linksys. I have never dealt with a wireless setup so i'm a bit confused on how it is setup. if I understand correctly your cable comes to your modem, but instead of running the ethernet cable to the pc you run it to the bridge? I found some products by linksys but im not sure if they are the correct items.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...108&pfp=BROWSE

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...249&pfp=BROWSE

I believe those are the correct items but someone please tell me if their not.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
You won't need a bridge, that's only if you have two separate network segments you want to communicate with each other. What you need to go wireless is a wireless router, and a wireless NIC for the xbox. I think there are some made specifically for the xbox or you can buy that access point in your first link along with the wireless router. Connect the xbox to the access point via ethernet cable, connect the router to your modem and you'll be good to go. If you do this, you will also need to buy a wireless NIC for your pc. I'm not sure if the wireless router has ethernet connections on it in case you want to connect non wireless NIC's. Would be a nice feature if they did though.

(p.s NIC means Network Interface Card, just in case you didn't know)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
If you want immediate connection to xbox live, just take your modem to the xbox or vise versa. Then when your done playing xbox live take your modem back to your pc. It's a hassel to lug it from room to room, but hey you get what you pay for and this is a free option.

Right now I'm being a cheapo, I just ran ethernet from the modem to the xbox. When I'm done with live and want to use my pc, I just unplug the xbox ethernet and plug in the pc ethernet. Hey, it get's me online.:D

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really debating rather to run a 75 foot ethernet cable or to just go wireless. Those long cables are really a pain to take care of, but I dont have my internet access in the room with my xbox. Do you think the D-link setup that mark has would be the best? I would like to still have my pc hooked up to the internet while im using xbox live, does the router have a in and out ethernet conection so that I could run the modem to the router and another cable from the router to my pc?

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
One thing to be careful of with wireless is how the signal travels between the router and XBox. How many walls does the signal have to go through? Is it a strait shot through the wall or will the router be in one corner of the house the the XBox in the opposite corner? If they are opposite you may need the router, a range extender, and the bridge. DLinks DWL 810+ is made for gaming consoles. I think Lynksys has one like it as well. If you run a cable instead I would suggest still getting a wireless router. This way you have the option to connect wireless or physically plug in to your network. Go with the G (if you dont mind spending the extra $$) because it is still compatible with B networks. Most routers can easily be set up as a DHCP server which distributes IP addresses to all PC's using your network. This means that they can all access the internet without paying your ISP extra money. Even though they are wireless routers they all have ports in the back (usually 5, 1 for your cable/DSL modem, 4 for other PC's/gaming consoles) to hard wire in to the network. You plug your cable/DSL modem into the router. Then use one of the 4 ports in the back to plug into your PC. If you run a cable to your XBox then it will use another one of the ports in the back of the router.
I know I said earlier not to go with G but I think the range has been improved on them. Keep in mind that with XBox live you are only as fast as your network connection. G networks can hit 54mbps (I bet 20mbps is more realistic in a typical house environment). B networks can hit up to 11mbps (Dlink airplus 22mbps) but 2-4mbps is more realistic. Your cable connection is probably between 600kbps-1.5mbps. So the G will not be any faster than the B network when playing over the internet. You can test your internet connection speed at www.dslreports.com just go to Tests + Tools on the left and click speed tests. Also with a router (wireless or not) someone can be on your PC using the internet while you are playing XBox live. Its not an either or thing.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
From my pc to my xbox is a straight shot that goes through an open doorway, distance is about 60 feet so I dont think I'll have any problems. My speed was 365k:frowning: , I hope thats fast enough for xbox live. If I possibly upgraded to a better modem would it increase performance? So your recommending that I get a d-link 810+ as my router and dwl 614+ as the access point to connect to my xbox. I want to make sure i'm getting the right thing because this stuff confuses me. Thanks for all your help!

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
The 614+ is the router that you plug your modem into. The 810+ is the little box that you plug your XBox into. D-Link is good. I havent had any issues with mine. Linksys is good as well. D-Link is offering a $10 rebate on the 810+ right now. $20 rebate on the router. They expire 1/05/04.
DI 614+ http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=20
DWL 810+ http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=21

Linksys
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=544 (router)
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=550 (Plug Xbox into)

A new modem will not improve your connection speed. If you are using cable understand that you share a connection with your neighbors. So during the heavy traffic times your connection will be the slowest. DSL it doesnt matter how many people are using it. Your speed is determined by your distance from the ISP.

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, do not buy the stuff you posted earlier. One is an access point and not a 4 port router. The other one will work but is more expensive than the new thing Linksys put out.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
The Linksys stuff that Mark linked to is excellent. I'm running the BEFW11S4 myself, and it works like a charm.

Personally, I don't see the need to spend the extra bucks on "G" equipment. Not if it's just for an XBox. I have a laptop and my Xbox tapped into my wireless network, and "B" equipment works just fine. I'd want G if I were adding more equipment, or working with bigger files on my laptop... but I don't see that happening. Ever.

The Linksys stuff works great, and my router (the BEFW11S4) is on a different FLOOR of the house than my XBox is.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
Is it necessarily bad to mix the components, say using the linksys router with the d-link 810+? I'm guessing its better to use the same brand of components but I'm trying to cheap out. Looks like the d-link stuff is about 20-30 bucks cheaper than the linksys on ebay.

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
You can mix and match. The B standard is the same whether its Linksys, D-link, NetGear, etc. To keep it simple just make sure that you buy all B stuff. The only thing with the D-Link is if you mix another brand with their AirPlus line you lose the extra speed. B networks run up to 11mbps where D-Links Airplus line can run up to 22mbps. But you have to use all Airplus gear. If you dont then you will be running at the 11mbps. Try www.buy.com you can get the D-Link router and bridge for about $75 after rebates. No tax and free shipping. The comparable Linksys system is $100 on Buy.com.

I agree with Tony. The G equipment isnt worth the extra $$. At least not until my ISP's bandwidth increases about 50 times. My router is on the second floor and my XBox on the first floor. No problems yet after a year of use.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Quote:
The G equipment isnt worth the extra $$. At least not until my ISP's bandwidth increases about 50 times.
Exactly. :) And like Mark, no problems with my network after a year. (Between main computer and laptop...xbox JUST got added to the network.)

Yup, mix 'n match to your hearts content. Just as long as everything uses the same protocol, you'll be fine.

I usually prefer to stick with the same brand-name when it comes to stuff like this. But in the case of my Xbox, I broke with my preference. :)

My wifi network: I have a Linksys wireless router, Linksys wireless PCMCIA card for my laptop, and the Microsoft XBox Wireless adapter. Router is in the upstairs office, laptop and Xbox are in the main-floor living room. As is a 2.4 Ghz wireless phone. No problems.

The XBox adapter is more expensive than the Linksys WGA11b, but I worked with both of them, and liked how I could interface with the MS unit on my television screen. It was a little easier to configure. BUT... that being said, the WGA11B was just fine. :) Both units should work out-of-the-box, in theory.

(I had to do some configuration to my units, as my wifi network is secured as tight as I can make it...mostly due to going over to a friends house with my laptop (he lives 7 doors away) and STILL being able to surf! GAH. Albeit the surfing was PAINFULLY slow, but still. Could have been providing wireless internet for half the houses around me! :laugh: .)

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I secured mine pretty well too. I have a regular firewall on my PC. My wireless is running 64 bit encryption (not great but only my XBox is communicating over wireless). My router can go up to 256 bit encryption. Although the more you encrypt your signal the slower your connection speed will be. I also set up MAC filters on my router as well. That was fun. I forgot to add my PC's MAC address and I locked myself out of the router. Had to reset the router and start the setup process all over again. :b
I cant believe the router I got for $70 a year ago is now under $30 after rebates!! :angry:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Mark, when I got my LIVE goodies just over a week ago, I'd forgotten I'd setup MAC filtering on my router. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my shiney new wireless XBox adapter wasn't hooking up with the network properly! I figured it out, after slapping myself once or twice. :)

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Thats a good one Tony. At least you didnt call tech support. You guys freezing up there in Calgary yet? I am heading that way the end of Feb for some snowboarding around the Nelson area. Went to Panorama/Fairmont last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks