What's new

Hooking up Headphones to my LG 4K TV (1 Viewer)

Roland Parson

Auditioning
Real Name
Roland Parson
Hello everybody.
This is my first post and I need help hooking up my Headphones.
Go easy I am a retired old guy who is not up on all the new devices.

I have an LG 56in 4k TV
A set of Sennhieser wireless headphones.
A 40in speaker bar
And an older home theater system.

Because the TV has no headphone jack I hooked up the optical out to the speaker works great.
No place for the headphones.
So I ran optical out of the TV to the home theater, headphones worked great in the headphone jack.
But I now can't us the powered speaker bar.

So I bought a couple of optical cables and a splitter. I came out of the TV to the splitter and a cable to the speaker bar and a cable to the home theater. Problem solved...........NO!
I can run one or the other but once I hook both........Nothing.

So here is what I had to do to get it to work.

Ran optical cable to home theater.
Only option was to go off headphone jack to feed a component switch. One side of the switch feeds Headphones the other the speaker bar.......Very Crappy Setup

My Questions are.Why can't I split the optical signal?

To use the headphones I have to getup and select headphones after I turn the Home theater on.
To use the speaker bar I have to do the same as above only kinda in reverse.
This will drive the wife nuts when I forget to turn the unit back to speaker bar and leave the house.

Is there a simple solution to this madness??

Help Please>

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hello Roland welcome to the forum :welcome: Let me see if I can help you out.

I have some questions for you.
  1. What home theater unit do you have?
  2. What speaker bar are you using?
  3. What optical splitter are you using?
What you have described should work so I'm not real sure why it's not working. When you get back to me with that info that I asked I'll see if I can spot something wrong. It sounds to me like the splitter is not working correctly.

Roland Parson

Auditioning
Real Name
Roland Parson
Actually I was trying to use a splitter that I purchased from Amazon. However I discovered it won't work. For the first time I never read the reviews before buying.
Reviews were very bad.
When I contacted Amazon about returning it they said not to bother and they credited my account.
Instead I purchase a switch.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00PXSIFWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So I have everything working now!
Thanks for your response as this drove me crazy!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Actually I was trying to use a splitter that I purchased from Amazon. However I discovered it won't work. For the first time I never read the reviews before buying.
Reviews were very bad.
When I contacted Amazon about returning it they said not to bother and they credited my account.
Instead I purchase a switch.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00PXSIFWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So I have everything working now!
Thanks for your response as this drove me crazy!

You're welcome for the response. I'm glad to hear that you got it working. Nothing better than getting your gear working the way you want it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks