What's new

Hooking Up Denon My X4300H (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
On my X4300 I see at place to hook up a CD. What about a cassette player, a VHS, and a Beta? Not sure where to put those. I hardly use them, but I wan't have them hooked up because I want to sell them and be able to demo the devices.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The cassette deck outputs can be connected to any of the receiver’s Cbl/Sat, Game, Bluray or DVD audio inputs. You will not be able to make connections for “record” on the cassette deck, at least not easily.

The audio outputs of the VCRs can any of use the same connections, and their video outputs can be connected to receiver’s Video In for Cbl/Sat, Game, or DVD.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The cassette deck outputs can be connected to any of the receiver’s Cbl/Sat, Game, Bluray or DVD audio inputs. You will not be able to make connections for “record” on the cassette deck, at least not easily.

The audio outputs of the VCRs can any of use the same connections, and their video outputs can be connected to receiver’s Video In for Cbl/Sat, Game, or DVD.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I thought that would be the case. Does this go so far as to let me use, for instance, Audio In 1 (labeled cbl/sat) for the cassette, and the HDMI 1 input (labeled cbl/sat) for different devices?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I bought my 65UH8500 I decided I needed a new receiver and I now have the Denon X4300H installed and I'm trying to sell my old Denon 2809CI. I know I'll need to demo it but I don't want to uninstall the new receiver to do it. I thought that running from the blu-ray player directly into the old Denon via HDMI and then to my TV (HDMI 2) and using the optical out of the TV (already proven to work) that I would get the video and audio to work in my HT system. Well the video does work, but no sound. I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong and I know the old receiver works.

So next I tried blu ray player to HDMI 1 on old receiver. Then monitor out of old receiver to the front Aux In 1 of new receiver. I select source HDMI 1 on old receiver and and Aux In 1 on new receiver. Nothing, no video no sound. I know the new Denon is outputting to the TV because I see the Denon logo and I can run the setup menu and see it. I thought this would work easy as pie.

Did a little more fiddling around and verified that Aux 1 is working, but I get only video and no audio.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm no expert on these things, Johnny, but I would guess the issue you are having is that the old and new receivers probably are not communicating with each other via the HDMI connection you have established between the two AVRs. I am not sure if doing such a thing is even possible -- each receiver is expecting either a source component or a monitor attached to the other end of those HDMI connections, not another receiver.

Do you have a pair of extra speakers laying around? If so, I would just use those to demonstrate the receiver works. I know it will not demo all the speaker outputs, but it should be enough to convince a buyer that the device works properly.

I just ordered a Denon X3300W to replace my 8 year old Pioneer Elite 94TXH. I am not sure what I am going to do with the old Pioneer yet. It still works well, but the HDMI 1.3a inputs are outdated for anyone wanting to move to a 4K setup. So, I am not sure it's even worth the bother of trying to sell it, which is a shame because it was a superb AVR for a 1080p setup.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm no expert on these things, Johnny, but I would guess the issue you are having is that the old and new receivers probably are not communicating with each other via the HDMI connection you have established between the two AVRs. I am not sure if doing such a thing is even possible -- each receiver is expecting either a source component or a monitor attached to the other end of those HDMI connections, not another receiver.

Do you have a pair of extra speakers laying around? If so, I would just use those to demonstrate the receiver works. I know it will not demo all the speaker outputs, but it should be enough to convince a buyer that the device works properly.

I just ordered a Denon X3300W to replace my 8 year old Pioneer Elite 94TXH. I am not sure what I am going to do with the old Pioneer yet. It still works well, but the HDMI 1.3a inputs are outdated for anyone wanting to move to a 4K setup. So, I am not sure it's even worth the bother of trying to sell it, which is a shame because it was a superb AVR for a 1080p setup.
I dug out the manual on the 2809 and on page 12 is says:
To output the audio signals to the monitor with HDMI connections, set menu "Manual Setup" - "HDMI Setup" - "HDMI Audio Out" to "TV" (Page 29).

I don't believe I checked this last night. My day is busy until after 1pm, so I'll check it then. This may explain why there's no audio out for either hookup arrangement I tried.

In the manual, on page 29, it shows the selection as "AMP". In this setting, what happens?

If I change the setting to "TV" does that shutoff the sound to the speakers? I think it does.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I dug out the manual on the 2809 and on page 12 is says:

I don't believe I checked this last night. My day is busy until after 1pm, so I'll check it then. This may explain why there's no audio out for either hookup arrangement I tried.

In the manual, on page 29, it shows the selection as "AMP". In this setting, what happens?

If I change the setting to "TV" does that shutoff the sound to the speakers? I think it does.

If set for "AMP", the receiver will pass only video (no audio) out through the HDMI connection to your display attached to the monitor HDMI output. If it's set at TV, then both audio and video are sent out via the HDMI monitor out connection.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If set for "AMP", the receiver will pass only video (no audio) out through the HDMI connection to your display attached to the monitor HDMI output. If it's set at TV, then both audio and video are sent out via the HDMI monitor out connection.
This explains the problem, I think. I'll bet the setting is AMP.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just ran the Audyssey for my X4300H. Everything went ok except for the subwoofer. It's an Elemental Designs SW, but I've had it 9 years and don't remember the specs on it. The setup kept telling me to turn up the volume on the SW until it read 75. That took it to the 1 o'clock level higher than I've ever had it. It also did not specify settings for Low Pass Frequency and the Phase. I don't know where to set those.

I also decided to reposition the sw every so slightly which required removing the power cord and sw cord. Now I've forgotten where I plugged the sw cord in. There are only 4 plugs it would fit and two of them are output so eliminate those. Then there's the Line In plugs, a left and a right. Which one does it go in. I suspect the right. I feel silly asking this question.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You should be able to plug the line cord into either the right or left input of your subwoofer -- it doesn't make any difference which you choose.

It's interesting that Audyssey wanted you to crank up the volume level on your subwoofer. With my Pioneer Elite's MCAAC auto calibration, the software kept asking me turn turn my subwoofer volume level down until it was in the 7-8 o'clock position (with 6 o'clock being off). I will be interested to see what I get with Audyssey on the Denon X3300 when it arrives.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You should be able to plug the line cord into either the right or left input of your subwoofer -- it doesn't make any difference which you choose.

It's interesting that Audyssey wanted you to crank up the volume level on your subwoofer. With my Pioneer Elite's MCAAC auto calibration, the software kept asking me turn turn my subwoofer volume level down until it was in the 7-8 o'clock position (with 6 o'clock being off). I will be interested to see what I get with Audyssey on the Denon X3300 when it arrives.
Yeah, let me know what you get.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah, let me know what you get.

My Denon X3300W arrived yesterday, and I spent this morning getting it installed and configured. My subwoofer volume level ended up very close to where it was with my old Pioneer receiver after running Audyssey -- around the 7 o'clock position again. It certainly did not need to be increased like you experienced with your sub, Johnny.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My Denon X3300W arrived yesterday, and I spent this morning getting it installed and configured. My subwoofer volume level ended up very close to where it was with my old Pioneer receiver after running Audyssey -- around the 7 o'clock position again. It certainly did not need to be increased like you experienced with your sub, Johnny.
When I reran Audyssey (couldn't they name it something easier to spell), I refused to set it as high as it wanted and the calibration went fine.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When I reran Audyssey (couldn't they name it something easier to spell), I refused to set it as high as it wanted and the calibration went fine.
Isn't your subwoofer volume too low by doing that? Or did Audyssey compensate for your adjustment?

And yes, I too wish they had picked an easier name to spell. I always had trouble remembering the acronym for Pioneer's calibration - - MCAAC, I think - - and now this! Lol.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

Did you set up Dolby Atmos? If so was it difficult?

I do not have any height speakers, so I configured the Denon the same way as my old Pioneer Elite -- as a 7.1 system with two back surround speakers. The receiver automatically recognizes and decodes an Atmos or DTS:X track based on how you configure your speakers.

The automated setup process for the receiver in general, and Audyssey in particular, is quite easy, though. You are walked through everything step by step on screen. It even shows you exactly where to place the microphone in the room for each of it's eight measurements. I had to tweak a few things afterwards -- I wanted ARC but no CEC for my monitor connection, and Audyssey set all my speakers to LARGE (same as both my previous Pioneer Elites did when running MCAAC), so I had to manually set them to SMALL and adjust the crossover setting (it picked 40Hz for all of them).

Edited to add:

Even without the height speakers, when I played the Atmos track from Underworld, I seemed to get more height to my sound with this Denon receiver than with my old Pioneer. I'm not sure if the Denon is trying to emulate those height speakers across my existing 7.1 setup with Atmos material, or if the Audyssey room correction is simply proving a more full audio experience than what I was getting with the Pioneeer + MCAAC. It will probably take watching a few discs with different audio formats to know for sure.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Did you set up Dolby Atmos? If so was it difficult?
It's Cake

And yes, in general Atmos tracks even without real or fake height speakers sound better than stock DD or DTS to me

I'm adding my 2 upfires to my 3300 tonight. Will be easy and should sound way better than the similar setup in my office with a 2200 and AJ integrated upfires

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's Cake

And yes, in general Atmos tracks even without real or fake height speakers sound better than stock DD or DTS to me

I'm adding my 2 upfires to my 3300 tonight. Will be easy and should sound way better than the similar setup in my office with a 2200 and AJ integrated upfires
Sam,

Which 2 upfires did you buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks