What's new

Home Theater Sound demo CD/DVD? (1 Viewer)

Adam Boatwright

Auditioning
Anyone know of a special CD or DVD that is specidfically designed to show off your system? I figure places like Tweeter, Best Buy or Circuit City would use something like this to boost sales. If it exists, I'd like to have one.

Thanks.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if those CD/DVDs are still available. Usually, you just find a couple of movies with some really great scenes like bullet flying, or fly overs from planes or ships usually gives a good demonstration. What got me into 5.1 was Lost In Space the opening scene, that really is a great scene it's got fly overs and some good bass with the explosions. Here's a couple more:
The Matrix when Neo bends back to dodge the bullets great pans there
Saving Private Ryan Opening scene, just fantastic.
Just a couple. Maybe check Dolby to see if they still have available their disc, I think it's the World is Listening. I have both of their discs and it's pretty impressive especially with the 5.1 audio.

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
I worked in Best Buy and found two ways to go for showing off your speaker set up.

Movie: Black Hawk Down, "Irene" scene. Has amazing bass that should go down to 5 Hz so on a good system you could see subwoofer cones moving slowly

Music: Try any good SACD, or DVD audio. I remember one entitled "African Drumming Circle" which made a set up sound impressive.

Also try stereophile's website. click music, then look at their recordings. They have an entire list of recordings they have used to test out their set ups- although I've never tested these myself.

Hope it helps,
Andrew Levine

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
If you have DTS, go to Ebay and do a serach for "DTS Surround Demo".
There are a few of the #9. It is an awesome selection of demo material.
Check them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks