What's new

home theater = free agency? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
You know how pro sports teams' owners and GMs pay lots of money to superstars, and sometimes those stars don't live up to advanced billing. Often, those teams opt to play their higher paid players to justify making those deals.

Well, I had some fine performing bargain speakers in a pair of Paradigm Titans and a CC-170, worth $400. Last week, I got an offer I couldn't refuse for a pair of Energy C5s, worth $750. As the owner and general manager of this outfit, I made an executive decision and added the C5s to my team. I now feel pressure to make my investment pay off by removing not only the Titans (of course) but also the CC-170 and going 4.1 with the C5s in phantom mode.

Is this high-priced pair of free agents going to ruin my HT system? The C5s and the CC-170 have been butting heads. Who do you think the GM will side with?

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Without a matching center channel speaker, you may have gained an all-star but you run a serious risk of ruining your team's chemistry.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Think you better rethink your lineup there. Send in the CC-370 to bat in place of the 170. But, as the GM, can a pair of C-5s do better than a set of nOrh 4.0s (or similar) for $100 more? The other big question is who is the heavy hitter (aka sub) in your lineup?

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
WHat about the coach (receiver), who are you using to direct those babies?
Coach Yamaha HTR-5150. Very dependable, but predicatably bright. Because of the salary cap, we're not looking for a replacement just yet. May not be the smartest thing to put off, since the coach plays a VERY important role on any HT team. The Yamaha RXV1200 and Denon 2802 are on my short list of replacements if I can clear some cap room.
And for those who did not understand the analogy, please refer to the Washington Redskins of 2000-01. They paid lots of money for "better" individual components (players), but the entire team fell apart.:) :) :) Actually that is not the best example since the Redskins sucked before those free agent deals anyway.

Dave Herkert

Agent
I find this analogy to be very interesting!! Owning a home theater is very much like fantasy league sports/being a general manager. You must field a team, deal with salary cap issues, keep everything running smoothly, and snag that key "free agent" that takes your team over the top!
Fortunately the atmosphere in the clubhouse is very good - my Klipsch have no arguments with my new preamp! In fact, the new preamp is one of those players that makes everyone around him better! All my teammates get along very well, and understand their roles completely! Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent should take a lesson from my team:)

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Robert-

I think you were the one that posted about your frustration w/ the lack of bass on the C-5's?? I went through the same thing with the C-9's. I thought that they sounded incredible except for the fact that they were totally punchless in the low end to the point where drums did'nt sound like drums!

Yesterday I returned them to the dealer and picked up the new v.3 Monitor 11's and CC-370 center channel. It's still too early to give you a detailed opinion but all I can say is that to my ears the new CC-370 is a BIG improvemover the v2. The tweeter is now aluminum-same as the Studio CC v2. You may want to look at this center to match w/ your C-5's. And it's a steal at $315 !!!

By the way I heard the Monitor 7 v3's yesterday and thought that they sounded better than the C-5s. Don't know if your Energy dealer also carries Paradigm but you may want to consider a trade.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
This is a great analogy...!
As acting coach and G.M. you have the liberty to increase the players, feed them steroids, hit the free agent market for some high priced additions, renovate or negotiate for a new stadium, train the athletes, nurse their wounds, ante up for the big scoreboard, and so forth.
All this subject to the loosening of pursestrings by the eccentric owner (WAF). You have to be careful that the owner doesn't threaten to sell off the players and/or move to a new city.
The team cannot get so big that it interferes with the ability for neighbouring teams to function as they do now.
In this game you can field from one to seven participants at one time, and call on your big DH (Sub)to step up at times to offer that big bomb,(some have the luxury of having the bench strength and budget to have more than one DH.)
It's a given that the playing field is typically set for 5 athletes and a DH. Virtually all fields allow for this, so to attack this with 4 participants and a DH is setting yourself up to play shorthanded.
Some people like to overload the field, and add one or two more participants. Just ensure that your current players have the room to manouver with the new players.
(I need more sleep!:D )

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Don't forget the owner, or the money behind furnishing the team, ie. the wife or S.O. Without her, the team will fall apart. On my team, she has to approve any trades...

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks