What's new

Home Theater Direct (1 Viewer)

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
These are some decent speakers. I helped set up a friends system and he opted for these with a Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver. They sound rather nice, but for a few extra dollars, I prefer the axiom setup.
Axiom

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Jason,
What is your budget for speakers and a sub?
Noticing that you live in Tampa, it may be possible for you to demo the ceramic nOrh 4.0 package, SVS 20-39CS w/Samson S700 amp, nOrh Le Amps, and Outlaw 1050 as I have all of them.
HTD should be excellent. Others are Axiom, Ascend, Swan Diva, and AV Reality.

RobG

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Level II's and think they sound good. The couple of friends that have theaters (both quite a bit better) were both impressed. The sub didn't cut it in my large room. The L3 may have, but I purchased something else and sent the L2 sub back. The nice thing is you can set it all up and try it out and if you do not like them send them back.

Greg_Bedard

Agent
I have the HTD Level III system (Combo Y, I think) that has two towers, center and two bookshelfs and a sub and I can't tell you how happy I am with them.

I was happy with them at first but I wasn't blown away. I felt the soundstage was a little small and some of the sound was a little tinny (on some older DVDs).

I don't know if it was biwiring or what, but now after about six months or so with them (and an Onkyo 696) I am really blown away by them. I think they keep sounding better everyday.

There are everything I thought they would be and more. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you are -- sending them back.

Doug_JC

Grip
I have owned the Level 3 for about 2 months. Tower mains, center, sub-woofer and bookshelf surround. I am very happy with them. Excellent sound and well built. I have the red finish ones, very nice. Make sure you have enough room because they are big.

Jason Amerson

Auditioning
Greg, can you please explain what you mean by bi-wiring? I have herd that term mentioned before but am not exactly sure what is meant. Thank you. Also, can anyone here post some pics of their HTD speakers. Want to see tom real world shots of them.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
I was underwhelmed when I heard the inwalls. You get what you pay for and $43 a pair for inwalls doesn't buy good parts. Regards.

Greg_Bedard

Agent
I'm not a techie or anything so if you want some serious information, I would do a search for biwiring and you'll find the information you need.

I biwired the two front towers and the center channel. What that involves is (with my Onkyo 696) is you take the gold runner off the HTD speakers (and boy are the HTDs' binding posts awesome — they should be mandatory on everything). I used gold banana plugs at the receiver end. You run the first wires to the bottom (or top, it doesn't matter) two posts on the speaker. Then you stick another set of banana plugs in the back of the first banana plugs and run them to the top binding posts.

In theory (don't anybody hammer me on this, I'm no audiofile), you are running separate — low and high — signals to the speaker. The runner you took off, in theory, should do the same thing. But it's all in what you hear. Some people swear by it. Some think it's a load of crap.

I happen to be a big believer and its not expensive to try.

I think you'll be very happy with the HTDs, especially the Level IIIs. And your wallet will be happy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks