Home Theater Business Start-up

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoseL, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. JoseL

    JoseL Auditioning

    Jun 8, 2005
    Likes Received:

    I hope this is the right place to post these questions.

    My name is Jose and I live in a small town in Southern California. I am considering starting a business to sell and install Home Theater Systems. I am not a professional installer, I have only done a few home theater installations for friends and neighbors. However, it is very exciting and alot of fun. The problem is I don't really know how to go about it.

    At this point, I can partner with a friend who has helped, and enjoys this stuff too. Money is not a really big issue, as I think we can obtain funding. I am a manufacturing engineer by trade and education. I have implemented/installed and managed many industrial automation projects with great success.

    My concern is that I don't know enough about about the retail and consumer end of things. I also know that I am not an expert in this area, but I will obtain additional training to make sure that my skills are up to par (CEDIA, CompTIA HTI+, etc.) However, none of the information I have read indicates whether the work I want to do requires a license, such as a California C7 for low voltage work, or if pulling (building) permits is required.

    The beyond basic installation stuff (connections and terminations) we want to do, is running/hiding wire and cable thru the walls, I have also been contacted by someone that wants their home pre-wired before the drywall goes up. Eventually if there is any interest, I think we could potentially go into the home automation arena.

    If anyone in California can help, I would certainly appreciate the input.

    Thank you.

  2. BlakeN

    BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

    Sep 15, 2002
    Likes Received:
    The best thing to do is to just call the city office and ask. Its that simple. I dont know about there but in Iowa every city/suburb is different. I happen to live within 1 mile of 5 different city codes. Usualy if your doing something professionaly it requires a licens but the home owner can pull the same permit without one. I got my own full electrical permit not just low voltage and all it required was talking with the inspector before hand and proving I wasn't a moron. However, 2 of myfriends both had to take tests to get theirs.

    I would guess you would not have to get a permit to run low voltage but you will need insurance.

Share This Page