What's new

Home Theater Business Start-up (1 Viewer)

JoseL

Auditioning
Hello...

I hope this is the right place to post these questions.

My name is Jose and I live in a small town in Southern California. I am considering starting a business to sell and install Home Theater Systems. I am not a professional installer, I have only done a few home theater installations for friends and neighbors. However, it is very exciting and alot of fun. The problem is I don't really know how to go about it.

At this point, I can partner with a friend who has helped, and enjoys this stuff too. Money is not a really big issue, as I think we can obtain funding. I am a manufacturing engineer by trade and education. I have implemented/installed and managed many industrial automation projects with great success.

My concern is that I don't know enough about about the retail and consumer end of things. I also know that I am not an expert in this area, but I will obtain additional training to make sure that my skills are up to par (CEDIA, CompTIA HTI+, etc.) However, none of the information I have read indicates whether the work I want to do requires a license, such as a California C7 for low voltage work, or if pulling (building) permits is required.

The beyond basic installation stuff (connections and terminations) we want to do, is running/hiding wire and cable thru the walls, I have also been contacted by someone that wants their home pre-wired before the drywall goes up. Eventually if there is any interest, I think we could potentially go into the home automation arena.

If anyone in California can help, I would certainly appreciate the input.

Thank you.

Jose

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
The best thing to do is to just call the city office and ask. Its that simple. I dont know about there but in Iowa every city/suburb is different. I happen to live within 1 mile of 5 different city codes. Usualy if your doing something professionaly it requires a licens but the home owner can pull the same permit without one. I got my own full electrical permit not just low voltage and all it required was talking with the inspector before hand and proving I wasn't a moron. However, 2 of myfriends both had to take tests to get theirs.

I would guess you would not have to get a permit to run low voltage but you will need insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks