What's new

Home DVD Collection Storage (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Christopher*KH,
I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. I had the same cabinets. They did an okay job, for about a year. Once they were full, the weight of the DVDs on the doors caused the doors to bend, and they wouldn't close properly anymore. I wrote the Sauder, and they never replied.
Anyway, I outgrew the cabinets. My fiancee suggested that I put shelves on the sides of our hallway walk in closet (we mainly used it for storage anyway). I jumped right on that! Seems to be working out well, despite being a little crowded right now. My collection just broke 400 DVDs.
My next project is to rip all of our CDs to MP3, and then use an Audiotron on our home theater, so that I can store the CDs elsewhere.
For pictures of the whole mess, go here.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Craig thanks for the search but I figured I would start a thread in hopes of just discussing non shelving type means of DVD storage. Any bad experiences and good ones too. Ideas and products out there to store them in these "Binders" or whatever.

Before I started this thread I did do a search, the first three I came to all had discussions ranging mostly from shelving units to a few people that use album/books for the storage. I didn't feel like wasting any more.

Like I said this thread was meant for Storing DVD's in a book or Album, not shelves.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Another who uses a bookshelf. A pic is below. Its a older pic becuase all that free space is gone.
I needed more room but the holes that were provided were about 1/4 short so I wasnt able to stack discs on top of one another as u see on the 3rd shelf down.
I drilled holes for the second shelf from the top, so I can stack more discs-making room for about another 60 or 70 DVDs.
I have some VHS tapes on the bottom, if I removed them I could put in another 70 or so. This bookshelf could hold about 500 DVDs or about 1000 if I stacked them in front of one another.
Heres a pic(Before I drilled the holes for the second shelf to make more room)
http://www.geocities.com/tarim69/dvdpicpage.html
Ive been meaning to replace that pic with a newer one. Ill do that tomorrow.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
those little sleeves and books would drive me nuts! when you are tight on space...I see where they might work for someone though. my wife supports my habit, unless she sees me standing there...saying I have nothing to watch. anyway, I converted a walk-in closet into my "dvd vault". I built my own shelving system with some simple lumber and a few tools, much cheaper than buying a shelf. I installed 1 electronic lock and 1 dead-bolt. nobody sees my dvds unless they receive a guided tour only. nope....I trust nobody. this is alot of work for a product that may "rot" and die in the coming years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks