Home DVD Collection Storage

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Griffith, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Anybody try these DVD Books. There similar to the CD book binder things. But these have room for 2 discs and then a pocket for the book, or some sort of cover showing what the DVD is.

I've seen 2 different styles. One has real thick pages and a pretty tough looking outside. It holds 80 DVD's (Only 40 Movies). There is another I didn't care for as much by "Mainstay", or something like it.

Any news on the constant rubbing of these disks in things like this. What do other people use to store their DVD's. I don't have very many (about 150) compare to some people. We don't want them stored out in the open where there visible, and just the amount I have takes up a bunch of space in the cabinets and drawers.

2. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I store mine in their own cases on a bookshelf. [​IMG]

3. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Same. I use two identical racks I got from Best Buy. I'm doing the manufacturer a disservice because the racks ROCK; they're light yet sturdy, look nice, weren't expensive, assembled in less than ten minutes without any tools at all, and are generally awesome. I got a second one when I needed it (and will need another probably by mid summer), and got one for my roommate too.

Why would you want to keep JUST discs, instead of discs in the cases? Book means flipping through, plus you lose the protection of the hub for the data surface. Shelf means you stand there and look at the titles, and grab the one you want.

4. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Bill - I hear you. This past fall our (my) DVD collection surpassed the 150 title mark. My wife has been "tolerant" of my little hobby but, put her foot down on all these DVD's being visible and taking up so much shelf space. We also have a 18 month old at home and he was constantly pulling disks off the self. So, my wife told me that if I wanted to "keep adding to my collection" I had to find a way to "put them some where else".

Short of a dedicated HT room (dream) I told her that I was thinking about getting a new DVD player that had a "carousel" so I could just store them in that. She actually like the idea (I was stunned). But the one I want is about $500 and not in the budget right now.

So short of putting the disks in a closet in another room I got one of those DVD/CD books that holds 200 disks. It only cost me $30 and made the wife happy. Now they are out of sight and out of reach of my 18 month old. I've been using it for 4-5 months and have not noticed any problems. I'm not sure I'd want to keep it this way long term but until I can swing the new DVD player it will work (and keep my wife happy).

I saved all the original DVD cases in a box in the basement so that one day (when I do have that the dedicated HT room) I can "re-display" my collection.

5. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I also use Rob's idea and store my DVDs in a CD case. Now that we have so many discs (over 500) it makes it much easier to find what you want to watch. We each take a book of 200 and then we split the third one. Another reason for doing this is that I am still in college and I rent. Although all my cases are on display, the actual DVDs are put in a lockbox, if god forbid we were ever to be robbed. I am not attached to the cases, but they would be nice to display when many years from now, I have the ability to build my own theater.

6. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

As an afterthought, I also print labels and put them in the dvd book, so that when I remove a DVD it goes back into its respective slots. I generally dont alphabetize them because it would have to be rearranged every time I buy a new DVD, but I create genre categories and this helps speed up the process of finding something to watch.

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have almost 300 titles now and I couldn't possibly ever put them into one of these booklets. All of that sliding in and out causes friction. Friction causes scratches (in all cases).

DVDs were given cases and not sleeves for a reason.

8. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I am at the 250 mark, live in a studio apt., and have also run out of space AWHILE ago. I have put my cd's in these books and have had no problems. As of now, I have about 75 DVD's actually stacked on my set!!!!

Anyone know of a decent system, I'm all ears!

D

9. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Not to hijack the thread or anything[​IMG]but I am currently looking for a good shelve to store my discs on as well. Anyone have some good cheap recommendations?

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

A while ago I happened across a mom & pop video store that was having a going-out-of-business sale. Everything goes, and all that. I bought a video shelving unit for $20, hauled it home, sanded and painted it, and put it up in my basement (where my theater room is). It's solid as hell, looks great, and will hold 624 DVDs by my estimation. Since I have just over 100, I'm in pretty good shape.

Jon

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

12. Christopher*KH

Christopher*KH Stunt Coordinator

I didnt notice right off if anyone mentioned one BUT I have mine almost 300 stored in a "VHS storage cabinet" made by either Sauder or O'Sullivan. I have 3 only one with DVD so far. All three have swing out doors on the left and right that you can store in plus you can lock them in case you have kids and don't want them to get into your collection. In case you're not sure where to look for these I bought mine from Suncoast Video and Media Play stores. I actually need another one or box up vhs and fill # 3 with dvd. Anyway I hope I might have helped.
    Christopher*KH

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

14. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I am seriously considering a CD book, simply to make moving easier (though I'm done with college soon, so it might not matter).

Mostly, I hate that the DVD shelves fill so quickly. I have over 500 discs (and that's counting big box sets as one--counting individually, it's more like 1000), and both my racks and 2 big shelves are now full.

Even the biggest racks hold only 300 discs, so I'd need two, and soon after, a third.

15. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

16. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I put about 300 of my DVDs into 2 large CD folders to bring to Germany with me. I haven't had any playing problems with scratches so far, but here is the problem I DO have.

Since I've been collecting DVDs since almost the beginning (Oct 97) I have alot of the early flippers and dual-sided widescreen/P&S releases. Of course I have always kept the widescreen side down and protected, but the P&S side can get seriously scratched up when it rubs aginst the hard plastic simply by being stored and shuffled in the folder. No loss for me personally, but it hurts the resale value (though I don't know who would want to buy an old copy of a since re-issued special edition disc).

At some point I'll have the rest of the cases shipped over here, but right now it's not a priority. Besides, I have almost 0 room for another 300 cases to add to my other 700.

17. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I've given the cases some thought. I don't have a fear of scratching...I've used CD Logic books for CD's for years and haven't encountered a problem. The simple answer is that I have the room, so it's not a priority, but also that I just like too see all my DVD's lined up on a shelf.

Bruce

18. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Custom bookshelves! The only way to go. Check the fourth image for what we did.

19. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

I've used cases for CD's as well but I was told long ago that DVD playback is more sensitive to light scratches and imperfections than CD's are. Is this true?

I would love to store them in the open and "show off" what we have. But it doesn't look right. And we have a nice big home entertainment shelving system (From IKEA ), and it doesn't have enough room for all the DVD's. Not to mention we moved about a year ago and the DVD collection wasn't quite what it was now, and it took over 4 boxes to move it.

I'm begining to think cases are the way to go. They've worked out well for the CD's. I actually like being able to sit down and go through the books. I mean everything is goruped in the books just like it would be on the shelf, so finding a particular title might only take an extra minute.

I tried to find the album book I saw at bestbuy online but they don't seem to put everything on thier web sight. The book seems pretty well constructed and doesn't use the same fabric, pages or outer case that the CD albums do. Everything in the DVD book is beefier. I'm thinking I'll get some more info, then decide.

20. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I use something I like even better than the binder cases. I use individual sleeves from Univenture.com. For single sided discs, I use a regular CD sleeve with one layer of "safety sleeve" cushioning in a clear poly sleeve, which Univenture calls their "poly modified jewel pack". For the few dual sided discs I own, I use a special vinyl sleeve ("archival pocket") that has two layers of the cushioning, so the DVD fits between the two layers and both sides are protected. Each sleeve has a pocket on the back (the two sided has a pocket on the front and back), and I put a printout from the DVD Profiler 4 per page report in this sleeve. The individual sleeves make it much easier to keep my collection in alphabetical order. They sell a separate cardboard box to hold the sleeves, which I'm currently using, but frankly I'd prefer something a bit more elegant. I keep any artwork and booklets from the DVD in a separate binder in plastic page protectors and I keep the totally empty DVD case in Rubbermaid containers which I currently store in the crawlspace under my house. Thus, if I ever want to go back to normal shelving or if I decide to sell a DVD (which I've never done), I can simply put the inserts into the DVD case and it would be good as new.

I now use these sleeves for all my CDs and DVDs. I used to keep my CDs in the binders, but I like the sleeves better, primarily since it makes it easy to rearrange the dicscs in any order you want. And of course a handful of discs is much lighter than a binder with a hundred or more discs inside.

I know that most people prefer other storage alternatives, but this works best for me. The cost is quite reasonable, and the space savings are huge. Although my CD and DVD collection is only a fraction of what many people here own, it would still take up significantly more space if I wasn't using these sleeves.

Steve K.