What's new

Hollywood, will you PLEASE retire the Wilhelm scream!? (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I noticed 2 Wilhelms in 2 days - in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST, during the Black Pearl's battle with the Kraken, a pirate is launched into the air and screams.

In SUPERMAN RETURNS, a guy screams it as he's falling off a building during the earthquake. Interestingly Superman catches him and he lives. I don't know if I've ever heard a Wilhelm where the screamer wasn't punished with death. :)

Ok, maybe it's just too old hat to even mention anymore..

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I love the Wilhelm scream and the day Hollywood "retires" it will be a sad one.

Not that I'm worried that they ever will.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I didn't see it mentioned in here, but i heard the Wilhelm scream in the 2005 version of King Kong when the guy gets knocked off a ledge by a dinosaur
and in Sin City when a cop was thrown out of a car.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure the PotC: DMC scream is NOT a Wilhelm, just a similar sound. I noted hearing it, but it wasn't the same, and I remember thinking, thank god they didn't use it.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Retire it, retire it, retire it, retire it, retire it, retire it.

Bury the fucking original recording. Or launch it into space (if you don't mind foisting it on some unsuspecting extraterrestrial civilization).

Burtt needs a new "signature," because by this point he's "signed" hundreds of films he never even worked on.

I began noticing the Wilhelm when movies like Star Wars and Raiders first came out on video in the 1980s. At first it was funny - "Hey, that same goofy scream was also in [INSERT NAME OF VIRTUALLY ANY ACTION FILM]." Now it's just annoying, and I pray the otherwise godlike Peter Jackson stops using it (or vetos his sound guys when they try to weave it in).

--Jefferson Morris

Josh.C

Second Unit
I finally took a look at this thread, and I can honestly say I have been enlightened. I never knew such a thing existed. The scream itself sounds almost like an animal or something. I'm going to go get some of my movies out and find the scream. I will be listening for it in the future.

My vote is to keep the thing alive. Don't overdue it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it pop up once or twice a year.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks