What's new

Hogan's Heroes (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I have read that the in German broadcast dubs of Hogan' s Heroes rewrote the dialog, and jokes too, to minimize references to the Nazis. (Did they fuzz out swastikas too?)

I guess the original English track with be used on the Blu-Ray. They probably never did an English track of the German rewrite, but it would be interesting to hear an episode with the changes.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have a houseguest who hates Hogan's Heroes, so it might take a couple of days. There are no extras. There are both English and German soundtracks (English in DTS-MA mono). Both English and German subtitles.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
My set arrived late last week. Some things I noticed. The episodes I have viewed look to be the same transfers done for the dvds but in 1080p. So far all episodes that I have viewed have been network length. There are no extras that I can find on the set. There are 2 discs placed on each spindle. Discs 1 and 2 on one and discs 3 and 4 on another. There are no CBS in color bumpers that I have seen and I have watched a few of the early episodes and some from season 2. The discs themselves looks to be the art that was on them when the seasons were released separately. Here are some pics of the box and menus. Also I am not sure why the disc says approx. 147 minutes 172 min. etc. I checked Season 3 disc 1 and all 8 episodes on that disc ran 25 minutes long. I haven't found anything negative yet short running episodes and such but i haven't checked every episode either.
IMG_2836.JPG
IMG_2829.JPG
IMG_2828.JPG
IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2834.JPG

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The discs themselves looks to be the art that was on them when the seasons were released separately.

Are you talking about individual Blus in Germany, as well as the regular DVDs here in America?

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
IMG_3041.JPG
Are you talking about individual Blus in Germany, as well as the regular DVDs here in America?

Yeah when HH Season 1, 2, 3, were released in individual seasons back in the mid 2000's they had what looks to be the same pics/art on them that these German Blu rays have on them. The disc art for the Hogan's Heroes complete series that was released in 2016 here in the US was just the generic grey disc art like a lot of CBS's season sets the past few years. Here is a pic of one disc from the 2016 US dvd complete series set. The discs in the 2016 US dvd set all look like this.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
View attachment 46487

Yeah when HH Season 1, 2, 3, were released in individual seasons back in the mid 2000's they had what looks to be the same pics/art on them that these German Blu rays have on them. The disc art for the Hogan's Heroes complete series that was released in 2016 here in the US was just the generic grey disc art like a lot of CBS's season sets the past few years. Here is a pic of one disc from the 2016 US dvd complete series set. The discs in the 2016 US dvd set all look like this.

Interesting-- I have discs of quite a few other CBS-owned series that are like this, but not Hogan's Heroes.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There is a video review of the german blu ray set on youtube.

I have this set on order. Just waiting for it to be delivered.

A very well-done insider's view of that German Hogan's Heroes all-in-one Blu, if I do say so myself (and I like that this one can be played here, w/o any special equipment [at least from what this reviewer says])!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I agree, that guy in the video is very helpful to fans who might consider buying this new region free Blu-ray set. I watched some season 6 episodes not long ago and was reminded that Hogan's Heroes still had a lot of quality laughs in it's final season. The series remained strong throughout, at least in my opinion. And the existing remastered DVDs look so beautiful already that I don't think I would upgrade (I bought all the original single season sets as they were released, for a sizable sum already)...hilariously ironic that the ultimate treatment for Hogan's Heroes would naturally come out of Germany, ha, ha...but my Uncle Bill loved the show too...and he was an actual WW2 POW in Germany from January 1944 to the end of the war, some 16 months as a "Kriegie", (Kriegsgefanganer in German, or more derisively, as a "Luftgangster") My Uncle Bill loved this show, even if the fabled Stalag 13 bore absolutely no resemblance to his dreary deprivation at Stalag Luft 4B...

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I agree, that guy in the video is very helpful to fans who might consider buying this new region free Blu-ray set. I watched some season 6 episodes not long ago and was reminded that Hogan's Heroes still had a lot of quality laughs in it's final season. The series remained strong throughout, at least in my opinion. And the existing remastered DVDs look so beautiful already that I don't think I would upgrade (I bought all the original single season sets as they were released, for a sizable sum already)...hilariously ironic that the ultimate treatment for Hogan's Heroes would naturally come out of Germany, ha, ha...but my Uncle Bill loved the show too...and he was an actual WW2 POW in Germany from January 1944 to the end of the war, some 16 months as a "Kriegie", (Kriegsgefanganer in German, or more derisively, as a "Luftgangster") My Uncle Bill loved this show, even if the fabled Stalag 13 bore absolutely no resemblance to his dreary deprivation at Stalag Luft 4B...

I also bought original single season sets when it first came out, but i bought this for only 53 american dollars shipping included from amazon de. Its currently is 40 dollars more but i guess the site raises and lowers the price from lower to higher price from week to week.

Six months ago i bought a 65 inch LG 4K tv. It upscales blu rays to 4k very nice but upscaling dvds is asking alot from it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks