What's new

HK AVR 8000 Falgship at stupid price?!?! (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Can anyone confirm that the amps on this unit can be reassigned?
Matt,
Yes you can reassign the front amp channels(any of the amp channels actually). The 8000(and even the 520) have main amp ins. That is a great feature to have. HK is one of the only manufacturers to put main amp inputs on some of their more affordable receivers.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Is the logic-7 in this guy as fully-functional as in, say, an MC1 with the latest upgrades?
If you mean all the flexability in setup thhe answer is no. You either turn L7 On or Off. No L7 customization like bass enhance/vocal enhance/re-eq/compression customizing.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Would this HK receiver plus a 2 channel HK power amp for 7.1 be a better alternative than this scenerio for about the same price?

I have the chance to buy a discontinued B&K AVR101 receiver, brand new unopened in the box for $500. I called B&K, and for $1000, it can be factory upgraded to dts ex, dolby digital es, etc. The only thing, it won't have THX es (no big deal to me), and no component video switching capability (only s-video, but again, not a big problem for me). Plus, I would also have to have an additional 2 channel power amp for it for the extra 2 channels, and that in and of itself opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. The scenario I originally was thinking of though was getting a 2 channel B$K amp (I forgot the model #) that I think was rated at 145 watts per channel for the main front left and right and just letting the receiver's built in amps power all of the other 5 channels for movies. However, for only $50 more, you can get a 3 channel B&K amp with the exact same power rating as the 2 channel version, again, I think 145 watts per channel, thus keeping the center the same as the main front left and right. Or, I could get additional amps like maybe a 5 channel model, and get into biwiring/biamping the main front left and right for 2 channel stereo music listening, etc.
The only thing that concerns me though, is that I noticed that the B&K AVR101 is rated at 105 watts @ 1 khz and 0.09% THD also a 1 khz per channel. Whereas for example, the Denon 3802 is rated at 110 watts per channel into 8 ohms from 20 - 20,000 hz with 0.05% THD, which pretty much spells it out as clearly as it can possibly be. Is the B&K 101 not as powerful as the Denon 3802 since they don't as clearly define the specs on it? Or is B&K a brand that you can trust?
Basically, the receiver itself, plus the upgrade would be $1500, and I would still need at least an additional 2 channel power amp for full on 7.1 surround sound. Would this be wise, or could I do better for the money elsewhere?
Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

Steve & Karen

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered and have an order confirmation from OneCall, confirming the 1227 price (including shipping, no tax, real total) though it is on back order. Other forums say people ordered and received.

...still wondering if anybody has listed and can comment on just pure 2-channel music sound of HK 8000 vs. Rotel 1055...?

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Does anyone still have the Sound and Vision article from last month (I believe)? When I got the issue, I never thought I could swing this receiver, but now that I've thrown the issue away, and then the receiver ends up at a good price. I went to the newsstand today but they didn't have any of last month's issues left.

Any comments, good or bad, that stood out in this review?

Aaron

Can anyone who owns a 8000 confirm that it will convert digital 5.1 sources into logic 7 and not just 2 channel sources? I know everyone keeps saying that it does but the manual available off of H/K's website seems to indicate that it does not.

For example from page 23 it states:

" ...the selection of a Logic 7 mode enables
Harman Kardon’s exclusive Logic 7 processing
to create fully enveloping, multichannel
surround from either two-channel Stereo or
Matrix-encoded programming such as VHS
cassettes, laser discs or television broadcasts
produced with Dolby surround."

Then again on page 24:

"Note that the Logic 7 modes are not available when either
Dolby Digital or DTS Digital soundtracks are in
use."

Unless they just cut this from the 520 manual and accidentally put it in the 8000 manual it seems that the 8000 can only apply logic 7 to 2 channel streams.

Please tell me this is wrong, and if it is how do you set it up to apply to 5.1 sources since obviously the manual is of little help?!

Jason Price

Second Unit
Can anyone who owns a 8000 confirm that it will convert digital 5.1 sources into logic 7 and not just 2 channel sources? I know everyone keeps saying that it does but the manual available off of H/K's website seems to indicate that it does not.
I can tell you for certain that it does.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Matt,
I was the one who started the thread questioning the ability because I too, poured over the manual and only found statements that it could do L-7 from 2 channel.
Also my first attempts were only successful in 2 channel. Even the DVDs would switch to two channel (this was when I was in Logic 7 and started the DVD.
Well all you have to do is Start the DVD, and after it goes into 5.1 press the Logic 7 button and there is a momentary drop out and Voila! ;) LOGIC 7 from 5.1
Even if the manual says no. All 7.1 speakers are lit up and there is a noticable increase in Bass fullness as well as much more "sonic envelopment".
Best regards,
John

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have a comment on this versus the Yamaha RX-V1?

I know it is supposed to be Yamaha's flagship last year.

Mike

Brian O

Second Unit
How about the HK 8000 vs the Outlaw 950? Also, I already have two HK PA5800 5 channel Amps that are currently driving the Outlaw.

I test drove a HK 500 a few years ago and always loved the 2 channel stereo sound but thought it was a little lacking at the time on Surround sound sources.

Has anyone been able to do a direct comparison between the HK 8000 and the Outlaw 950?

I am still within my 30 day period on the Outlaw, so on the fence about this.

I have Monitor Audio Silver 5 Mains and 10 Center. Bright revealing speakers.

Thanks in advance for any opinions that come my way.

Steve & Karen

Stunt Coordinator
Given the apparent errors in the HK 8000 manual, can anybody confirm then how to get "Logic 7" mode with a 5.1 speaker set up as previosly stated that it can do?

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Given the apparent errors in the HK 8000 manual, can anybody confirm then how to get "Logic 7" mode with a 5.1 speaker set up as previosly stated that it can do?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you might be mixing up two different issues. You mention how to get Logic 7 with a 5.1 speaker set-up. That is very simple, as during set-up of the receiver, you tell it that you have a 5.1 set-up. The alternative is Logic 7 for a 7.1 setup, if you have the extra speakers. If you tell the receiver you have a 5.1 set-up, then the Logic 7 will act just like PrologicII, providing surround sound from 2-channel sources.

The issue that John discusses above is using Logic 7 with 5.1 sources, i.e., Dolby Digital DVD's. This means that the Logic 7 can take 5.1 Dolby Digital and turn it into 7.1-channel surround sound. This is a different concept from setting up the receiver for either 5.1 or 7.1 depending on your speaker set-up. Hope that clears it up.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Good to hear you got everything worked out John. Since you have the new 8000, and I think you are pretty familiar with the 520, any comments you'd like to share between the two?

Aaron

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Can anyone comment on whether or not this can handle HDTV switching properly (e.g., no signal degradation)? All the specs say wideband compatibile but I've also read that in only supports 30Mhz. Thanks.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Daniel,

From everything that I have read, 30Mhz is not enough to switch HDTV. I think, if I remember correctly, you need 100Mhz to do 1080i. Better off just going to the TV directly.

That being said, I'm heading over to the Onecall site right now to get my order in since this is the last day for this price. I still can't believe I'm spending this much on a receiver, but what the heck.

Aaron

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Hello all,
Could someone please tell me if the AVR 8000 will remember speaker settings for each of the surround modes? I can't seem to find that info anywhere. If anyone has a link to the manual, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
37Mhz is the minimum bandwidth to switch 1080i, though in practice, as long as the circuitry is high quality (believe it or not, this makes a bigger difference than just bandwidth) 22Mhz is enough for still an excellent picture, with just a bit of softening. 37Mhz is also the minimum to switch 720p.

480p requires 13.5Mhz to switch, and 480i requires 6.8Mhz. Laser disk requires 5.3Mhz and your average NTSC broadcast requires 4.2Mhz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks