What's new

HK AVR 8000 Falgship at stupid price?!?! (1 Viewer)

JohnnyA

Grip
geez! all this talk about this reciever has gotten me all jazzed up. i'm currently in the market for a reciever to replace my yamaha dsp-a1 (which is going into the bedroom) and i got so tempted on this discussion that i went to fry's the next night to check it out; couldn't buy anything i can't feel first.

anyway, i snooped over to the audio aile and found this beast on the shelf--first impression, nice and BIG. but then i started to go over the front panel layout and controls, and i was surprised by the materials used. does the plastic seem cheap or is it just me? for what it's worth, the smooth acrylic faceplate is great, nice and clean. but the bottom right panel which hides the input jacks felt like it was going to come off. even the usual tactile snap was not apparent to me. the plastic felt light and brittle.

i noticed the unit was not abused at all, still very clean.

onward, the front panel buttons felt very hollow, like the same brittle plastic painted silver. they could be thin alluminum also, i couldn't tell. their tactile feel were a bit stiff, which doesn't really bother me too much.

not trying to bash the receiver unreasonably, because i do believe it can produce some awesome sound. but these unexpected discoveries just took me off guard. compared to my current amp, the yamaha felt MUCH more solid, and that was two generations ago.

anyone else share these same thoughts?

nonetheless, i think i would break down and snatch this receiver if a deal like this would ever emmerge again. some would argue it's the sound that counts, right?

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the buzzing sound counts. I would steer clear of these, knowing what is currently known. As far as build quality perceptions, I'm with you. It DOES feel cheaply made, especially compared to a 'Flagship" from Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Sony ES, Onkyo Integra, Rotel, or B&K. It amazes me that people are still buying these machines. I have heard when they work, they sound incredible though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks