HK AVR 8000 Falgship at stupid price?!?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adil M, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

To me, that's an amazing deal, even without the free shipping. Throw in the fact that it is an authorized dealer and it is very impressive for one of the finer receivers out there.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

That is an outright steal! The AVR7200 must be very close.

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Damn! I was set to go with a Pioneer Elite 47TX. I might just change my mind! What a deal on this receiver! You could get a HK Pa2000 2 ch. amp for less than $300 and have a killer receiver with L7 on 5.1/7.1 for around $1500. What a decision. What do i do! Help!

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Cool. If only I had $1230 to spend! [​IMG]

6. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Would anyone have any hesitations on buying this receiver without listening to it? I talked to Onecall and they have very few units left. I was considering the Rotel 1055, Pioneer 45tx, and the Sony 4es. Is this a good enough price to make you think itd be ok to buy this unit and forget about the others? I know Onecall doesn't really have a return policy unless the unit is damaged, so if one would buy this receiver, it'd most likley have to be a keeper.

Also, stupid question, do you need 7 speakers for Logic7 to work properly?

Thanks, Aaron

7. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

As to your first question, I have never heard the AVR 8000, but people who have it rave about it, much the same as people who have the AVR 520 on down also rave about those models. I have the 520, and its peformance is outstanding.

Second, you do not need 7 speakers to use Logic 7. You can set it to 5 or 7 speakers depending on your system. Logic 7 is really great, and most people who have heard it compared to DPLII prefer Logic 7. I have it set up with a typical 5-speaker surround setup and it works great.

8. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Remember, other than the Lexicon models, the HK AVR8000 applies Logic 7 to 5.1 material hence the need of two back surround speakers for surround sound. Compare, you can get a good used Lexicon MC-1 for maybe 2,000, and those are pretty hard to find, here you get a new HK for less than 1300.00, Paul Fisher hit it on the head, I wish I had 1300 for it. I'd jump on it in a heart beat.

I'll also add I have the HK 500, and the sound is so sweet for two channel stereo as well as multi channel sources. The best thing I did for t.v. and S-VHS watching is run satellite analog audio through the 7600, then through the Toshiba t.v., then I select surround mode on, and the seperation using Logic 7 on two channel analog sources is absolutely great. DPL has no meaning to me what so ever anymore. Logic 7 is the true factor that helped me make the choice of the Harman Kardon over 2 years ago. Still running, still sounds great. When I do upgrade it will be the Lexicon first and the Harman Kardon a very, very close second.

9. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

You gotta love Got Apex. They always have the best deals from OneCall on there.

10. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

Wow... I was thinking of getting the Rotel 1055 in the same price range (list 1299, best ~$1110-1200), vs. the HK AVR 520 (now down to $549) vs. 525 due end of the month at ~$900... so what are the advantages of this list $2800 receiver now at $1227... and why a deal too good to be true...?

-Steve

11. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Is the 8000 Logic 7 comparable to Lexicon's?

It looks like this receiver should compete with the 5803 or 49tx for a much lower cost.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dang, if I hadn't just spent $900 for the Outlaw... But I like the 950 anyway...

13. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

Well I bought the HK 8000 per above (back ordered)... based on price (drop) and features... without a listening... fingers crossed... 15 day return once arrives... hoping pure stereo music sound is as good as Rotel 1055.

-Steve

14. Scott Stegner

After trying to decide between an 49TXi, a 770/950 or 770/used mc1 I ended up going with this greatly reduced in cost deal. I still want to go separates somewhere down the line, but with this deal I have money left to get a very high quality 2 channel amp and use the 5 channel receiver amp for HT. I am hoping this setup will give me better music than any of the above and still have quite good HT. Also I get basic Logic 7! I ordered mine on Thursday and received a ship confirmation on Friday.

15. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

16. Scott Stegner

Hey, since I have this unit coming I now have a few questions for 8000 owners or anyone on 7.1 and logic 7 in general. My understanding is that there is not any discrete rear channel information and that either in logic 7 or other 7.1 processing all information is derived using digital signal processing. So the questions are:

1: Is it correct that all rear information is derived?

2: How balanced do the rear speakers have to be power wise. I.E. I am thinking of purchasing Swan Diva's 2.1 or 3.1 that are much smaller than my fronts, center and surrounds, but they are at least suppose to be timbre matched. But I am worried how much information gets ported to the rear so I do not blow speakers rated at 50 W.

17. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Buy it if you can afford it. I would be all over that if I hadn't of bought my 520 only a month or two ago.. And I just blew a bunch of dough on a digital camera so I'm not gonna be able to take up Onecall's offer this time around. Maybe next time.

18. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Are there any obvious reasons to pass on this?

19. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

Is the logic-7 in this guy as fully-functional as in, say, an MC1 with the latest upgrades?

20. Matt Woodyard

Can anyone confirm that the amps on this unit can be reassigned? For example can the front left and right amps be reassiagned to be the back right and left surrounds in a 7.1 setup and then use an external amp to drive the front mains? I've scanned the whole pdf manual on HK's site but did not see any mention of this. I know that the "default" config is to use the preouts to go to an external amp to drive the back surrounds but I would much prefer to spend the cash on a killer amp to drive the front mains and use the HK only as a preamp for those channels.