What's new

HK 525 Shutoff, Please HELP! (1 Viewer)

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Recently I bought the HK 525 and I was loving the sound and quality of it. Until about a month a so, there was problem with it shutting off with no reason.

I watch movie for about 2 hours and then it just shutsoff and go into standby mode. When I press the power button, it does not turn on for about 10-20 mins.

At the start I thought it was must be the heat, because it is the summer month in Australia. But after changing the position of the units, it is practically in the open with nothing surrounding it.

Then it works fine for a few days, and then it strikes again. Shutting off for no reason, I checked to see if the unit is overheat but the chasis was very cool and not even warm, I also checked all connections and it was correctly connected with no shorts.

So I finally took it to the service center, and they had a looked at it and said there was nothing wrong with it because it didn't shutoff when they were testing it.

The problem is driving me mad, because it is very annoying that you are half way through the movie and it shuts itself off.

I hope someone who had the past experience can help me, because I really like the sound and feature of this unit.

The speaker I am using is : JMlab 816S
JMlab LCR 700
JMLab SR 700
JMLab Electra SW900

All the speakers are 8 ohm nominal.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
also check your wiring especially if you're using bare wire. Don't just look at it, disconnect things one by one and if need be, cut off a section of wire and restrip it taking care to get all the little pieces in the holes. worse comes to worse, you're still under warranty.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I would demand a replacement unit. HK stating it wouldn't do it for them IS NOT a good answer. It sounds like you have done plenty of trouble shooting already. If you had a short/wire problem, I doubt the unit would run for days before shutting down.

Are you using some sort of power conditioner?

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
I am actually running the receiver with off the wall socket with an adaptor. The subwoofer is also connected on the same adaptor as the receiver.

About the dust, my receiver is very clean and new so there is no dust in the system. It does not get hot at all when it shuts off.

The connection for my speaker cable is very tidy, and I have tried to reconnect it and the same things happen.

The most annoying thing about this problem is that it is very hard to detect unless you use it very often. Because it shutsoff randomly and it could be working fine for a week without shutting off.

However, I have notice that once it shuts off, if you manage to turn it on again, it will shut off again within 30 mins. Unless you leave it off for a very long time.

This problem is driving me mad. I am currently suspecting it could be my front Speaker. The JMLab 816S is rated at 8 ohm. But it say, it could dip down to 3.6 ohm at minimum impedance. Do you think the problem could be my speaker.

Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would try disconnecting one speaker at a time, until it ran for a week straight, then at least you could more define the issue.

It could be just one channel causing the issue.

Also, try another power source if you haven't, maybe even another cord if it detachable from the unit.

Flake'n out AC is the most common cause of this. If it looses power for just a split second, that is exactly what happens.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
AT the start I suspected that it is the power cord too. ButI have bought another power cord on the system last 2 weeks. It is a very thick power cord and rated at 15A.

However, the same thing happens. I will try to see if changing the whole power line to the whole socket would help. I just bought a 15 A power line and fitted in there to see.

By the way, I looked at the minimum impedance of the speakers setup.

All my speakers have a very low minimum impedance.

All their nominal is 8 ohm. But their minimum is below 4 ohms.

Min. Impedance: front: 3.6 ohm
centre: 3.1 ohm
rear: 3 ohm

can that be a problem. However, as I said, if that is the cause wouldn't the system be heating up. But there was no heat up.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
You're running it off a dirty line without a powerline conditioner!!!

that's not good.

rogo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks