What's new

Hitachi vs. Toshiba vs. Mitsubishi (1 Viewer)

Michael_Cammara

Auditioning
I'm about to make a major purchase, based on my budget, and would appreciate any personal experiences with the 3 following products: Hitachi 57SWX20B, Mitsubishi WS-55511, and Toshiba 57HDX82. I'm looking to spend no more than $3,000 and if anyone knows of an even better choice of an RPTV than the 3 I've determined, I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
511 has tuner and upgrade.

hits and toshie have anti glare screen and DVI.

tough call...

hits is probably slightly more reliable and better than Toshie but at a slightly higher cost too..

You can go wrong with any of those three really.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Considering how many defective new Hitachi sets I have come upon lately ... I'd be really weary of that for now. Wait for the 2003/04 units. Stay clear of the 20 series for now.

Regards

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Michael:
I just purchased the Toshiba 57HDX82, and I am very pleased with every facet of this TV.
I compared it side by side with a Hitachi, and they were really pretty close picture quality wise. (at least to my eyes with the poor signals being fed to them in store)
When I got it home and fed a good DVD signal to it, I was blown away with the picture quality. I like the stretch modes too.
The prices were even within a couple hundred dollars. I made my decision with opinions on this forum, and that I liked the look of the Toshiba cabinet.
Everything has turned out perfect with this first purchase in my upgrade plan.

I hope this helps you, good luck

Roy

Michael_Cammara

Auditioning
Thanks for the input Roy. :)

I actually just went and looked at that model today. I'm impressed by the personal reviews I have read on these TV's as well. I would still like to get some more feedback on the 511. I haven't had a chance to personally view that model yet.

So, what else are you considering upgrading?

Michael_Cammara

Auditioning
Have you looked at the Pioneers??

:frowning: I've browsed through a couple of pioneer models, but have been reluctant to consider them. All the HT enthusiasts I have talked with recommend hits, toshie's or mits. Do you have a particular model in mind that I could research?

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Do you want a tuner?

Do you want anti glare screen or would you remove it?

Do you want DVI?

You need to find out what you are looking for.

If you don't need DVI, want HDTV tuner and would remove the screen... go with the Mits.

Otherwise go with toshie or Hitachi

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Can we strive to be precise with the terms "glare screen" and "anti-glare screen?"

Some sets come with a shiny protective screen over the lenticular screen to (duh) protect it. These screens are highly reflective and cause glare, so some people call them "glare screens."

You can also get "anti-glare" screens that have a flat finish, which protect the screen but produce no more glare than the unprotected lenticular screen.

Jan

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Michael:
I am eventually going to upgrade my receiver and speakers, as I am locked in the Prologic era with my Sony STR-D2020, and JBL Decade 26's:D

This TV was the big first step. It has really been fun getting the input from this forum about HT. I look forward to its input regarding my room shape and what I can do with it. ( Pics to come ..eventually)

Roy

Jeff_PxR

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Mits 65WS411. I would recommend it if you do not need the HDTV tuner built in--I did not as I use digital cable. It is several hundred dollars cheaper than the 511 for basically the same set sans the tuner built in.
I can't speak for the others but the Mits is a great TV. And right out of the box it looks awesome. Ipaid $2800 at Sound Advice here in Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks