What's new

History of Cinema DVD on Amazon for $5.35?!? (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
It was fun while it lasted!:D They should have at least given some kind of token gift certificate for those who ordered though...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Good idea, Chris, but obviously many, many people ordered it, if it reached #1 and stayed there for a day or so. That would be quite a few certificates.

Paul W

Second Unit
Well, we have truth in advertising laws here in Texas. I'll be curious to see how they react when I threaten them with a criminal complaint.

Wish me luck. I'll pipe back in if they capitulate.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, you could use the money used for a lawsuit to buy the properly done DVD's of these films by Kino, Blackhawk, and Milestone... :)

To be honest, it's better that everyone was let down before it shipped.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Paul W.

I was thinking the same thing this afternoon as we here in Virginia have the same type laws that require retailers to honor advertised prices.

I can also see the point that PatrickMcCart made about saving your money. These are equivalent to Madacy quality (unrestored) prints hence the cheap price per title. You can get better quality prints through those distributors (studios) mentioned but have to pay for them.

Eric

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I think this comes down to intent. The reason it's illegal to advertise product y as price x, but than price it as something higher, is because that's deceptive advertising. People are coming to your store with the intent of buying product y and price x, and you never had any intention of ever selling product y at price x. This was clearly a (major) pricing goof. You'd probably only have a case if you could prove that Amazon intentionally priced it at $6.00 to lure people to their site who normally don't shop there.

If I was Amazon, I would at least offer some kind of gift certificate, or maybe an additional 10% off the box set. But then again, I doubt anyone who shops at Amazon is going to stop doing so over this.

Paul W

Second Unit
Well, I already have the M2K version of Metropolis. I'm more interested in seeing these versions of Birth of a Nation and Potempkin, as crappy as they may be.

If anybody know of good versions of these movies, please shout out.

Of course, I'm not going to spend any money fighting this. I think the AG will send an inquiry and cause them a brief moment of grief. That's all I care about seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks