What's new

History of Cinema DVD on Amazon for $5.35?!? (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
I am enrolled at another forum's share the love program for Amazon.com and I frequently get discounts for DVDs I have no intention of buying. However, this title has piqued my interest largely because I don't know what the hell it is! It says it's a 12 disc collection on Amazon but nothing else. Here's the kicker: It's list price is $89.99 but they are selling it for $5.94 ($5.35 with the share the love discount)?!?!? I 'm not sure if this is a typo at Amazon but 2 people have shared this with me so it must be the real deal for now. I'm tempted to blind buy this one just for the heck of it but does anyone know what's actually in this set?

Geez, $5.94 won't even cover the packaging expenses on a set like this! :D

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Beloved Rogue
The Birth of a Nation
Cabinet Of Dr Caligari
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The General
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Intolerance
Metropolis
Nosferatu, The Vampire
Orphans of the Storm
The Phantom of the Opera
The Battleship Potemkin

---
So many films, so little time...

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Someone posted about this yesterday in the Coupons & Bargains forum. I jumped on it, as did other HTF members. As did the rest of the world because, last I looked, it was the number one selling DVD on Amazon.

The company distributing the set, Delta Music, appears to deal mostly with public domain stuff, so these probably won't be that great. But at under $6, I can afford for them to not be that great. If you order before the price changes, don't expect it to come soon. People have exploited this apparent error so much, that the estimated ship date for my copy is March 26th (over a month away at the time of this writing).

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I ordered mine today, thanks to this topic. The review on the Amazon site indicated that these were very low quality, which is not surprising. But if they're not released yet, how can he be so certain? At less than 50 cents per movie, one can't expect perfection. I figure that I can buy this set, then look for a higher quality release of the films that I most enjoy, and not worry about the others. Can't lose! Thanks for posting this information.

Steve K.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Thanks for the list John! Care to share where you got that info from? I wonder if there will be any sort of documentary on these films? But then again at under $6, I shouldn't care, right? ;) I guess I'll be getting this then!:emoji_thumbsup:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

It's all over the 'net right now and there's a buying frenzy in pretty much every DVD associated forum :D

If Amazon honour this it will probably bankrupt them...

---
So many films, so little time...

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the link on another forum yesterday. Went ahead and ordered. If it is an error I wonder what Amazon will do? ALOT of people have jumped on this - I mean, its their #1 seller right now!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Great... I can't wait to see people find a new reason to dislike silent cinema because of some crappy DVD release.

And woe is the person who sees Metropolis without the original continuity and titles presented in the restored edition.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

True, but it's amazing how many people might end up watching these films if Amazon honors the price.

That being said, I doubt Amazon will honor the price.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Crap! It was still there 5 minutes ago and then as I checked out my item...IT'S GONE!:angry: AND it seems they cancelled the orders of the others who were able to check it out as well....easy come easy go, I guess...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Mine is still there as well. Of all of the films included, I only have Metropolis, so this is a nice deal any way you look at it. If they're sold at 7 bucks each you can't expect them to be of any sort of good quality, but for about 50 cents a disc, I couldn't care less.

While we're on topic of early cinema, anybody own Kino's "Movies begin" 5-disc set? How is it, are there any reviews?

Seth--L

Screenwriter
From Amazon:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We regret to inform you that an error caused the "History of Cinema (12 DVD)" to be displayed at an incorrect price.

In accordance with our posted policies on pricing, we are unable to offer this item for the incorrectly posted price. Therefore, we have cancelled your order for this item. Please accept our apologies for the delay in our notification.

At any given time, despite our best efforts, a small number of the millions of items on our site may be mispriced. We do, however, verify prices as part of our shipping procedures. If we discover that an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation. This policy is posted in the Help section of our web site.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We value your business and hope that you will give us a chance to serve you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks