What's new

Hissing speakers, HELP (1 Viewer)

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
I have Klipsch RF-5 mains, RC-7 center, and RS-3 surrounds and i'm pairing them with a Sony DA4ES. Great combination..at lower volumes. At higher volumes there is this insanely loud hiss that is UNBEARABLE. Its not a buzz, it IS a hiss, it sounds like air seeping out. It seems to be coming from the horns about 4 times as loud as from the woofers also.

When the receiver is turned all the way up with NO source on (or even connnected) it sounds like its raining, LOUD. I was planning on watching movies at around -30 to -20 on the Receiver, which imho is pretty damn loud and pleasing to my ears, but it is IMPOSSIBLE because of this hiss. Can someone help me PLEASE get rid of this..I have tried unhooking everything one by one, and as of now I only have my dvd player and receiver hooked up via optical.

-Mark

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you tried a line conditioner? What else is on the same circuit?

My buddy's 3ES has a fairly low noise floor, so this may be something specific to your setup? Maybe a bad amp? Have you tried checking with the place you bought it to see if you can listen to one there and see if it does the same thing? Maybe swap one out in your system to see if the problem goes away or if it is inherent to the receiver.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Sounds like a line problem. Try turning off any electrical appliances on the same circuit. I found that turning off my dimmer lamp eliminates a small amount of buzz from my speakers.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
These can be tough. High efficiency speakers don't help either.

Good luck and good suggestions

-rob

Lin Park

Second Unit
I would start by plugging just the speakers (if needed) and the receiver into one outlet. Try to unplug anything on the same circuit if you can and unplug all your components including the connections to the receiver. Let us know how that goes.

Also, do you have any other speakers you can hook up to the receiver to see if they hiss?

Lin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks