What's new

Highlander New 4k Restoration (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
July 11 in Region B.

Considering this is one of those films that has always looked horrible on home video, I'm kinda interested if they can make a silk purse of it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Want this. Only question is if Lionsgate is gonna cheap out yet again and refuse to port over that great 2-hour feature-length documentary like they did last time (and fix that problematic 5.1 DTS-HD audio track, while they're at it).

If not, I definitely see an import in my not-too-distant future.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I'm surprised to find no further discussion of the new BD on this site; what do folk think of it? In fact, despite trawling numerous reviews and forums, I can't find anyone directly comparing the old and new releases. As a guideline, here's the Caps-a-holic comparison.

It's clear that while the previous version had DNR and sharpening applied, it wasn't in the same league as the Predator débâcle. Meanwhile, the new Highlander transfer looks almost like a raw scan, comparitively speaking, and often appears to be as overly grainy, dark and lacking in detail as the first Predator BD.

Last edited:

2HB

Agent
Real Name
Russell
I'm surprised to find no further discussion of the new BD on this site; what do folk think of it? In fact, despite trawling numerous reviews and forums, I can't find anyone directly comparing the old and new releases. As a guideline, here's the Caps-a-holic comparison.

It's clear that while the previous version had DNR and sharpening applied, it wasn't in the same league as the Predator débâcle. Meanwhile, the new Highlander transfer looks almost like a raw scan, comparitively speaking, and often appears to be as overly grainy, dark and lacking in detail as the first Predator BD.
Assuming you're a fan of the film the 30th anniversary Blu is worth the money. I've got the original Blu ray release and this release is clearly superior. Still grainy but less so and more natural looking. Better colour saturation, sharper and better detail.
However inevitably it still looks like an expensive 80s music video and the increased resolution doesn't help the very dated effects. The audio to me sounds no different. At the end of the day if you want the best version for home viewing this is it for now. Incidentally I'm in Nottingham as well.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I've never actually seen the film! I just generally like Russell Mulcahy's work and always planned to catch up with it one day; the sequels all sound uniformly crap though, so I don't think I'll bother with those.

The new BD beats the old in terms of extras: in addition to all the others, it has the full-length, 116 min making of, as opposed to the previously edited 85 min version, and two new Mulcahy/Lambert interviews, totalling 42 mins. On the minus side, the new version is currently going for around £9, whereas the old one is regularly listed on Amazon for as little as £2... Oh, the cost of being an A/V geek. :(

Seems Brits are relativly rare hereabouts, let alone ones from my hometown, so cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks