What's new

Press Release Shout Factory Press Release: Dog Soldiers (2002) Collector's Edtion (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
DogSol_UHD_Cover_72dpi.png

Synopsis​

"ONE OF THE MOST EXPLOSIVE AND PURELY ENJOYABLE HORROR DEBUTS SINCE THE EVIL DEAD" – Total Film
A group of soldiers dispatched to the Scottish Highlands on special training maneuvers face their biggest fears after they run into Captain Ryan – the only survivor of a Special Ops team that was literally torn to pieces. Ryan refuses to disclose his mission even though whoever attacked his men might be hungry for seconds. Help arrives in the form of a local woman who shelters them in a deserted farmhouse deep in the forest ... but when they realize that they are surrounded by a pack of blood-lusting werewolves, it's apparent their nightmare has just begun!
From Neil Marshall, the director of The Descent, Doomsday, Centurion and episodes of Game Of Thrones, comes this terrifying thriller starring Kevin McKidd (Rome, Trainspotting), Sean Pertwee (Gotham, Event Horizon), Emma Cleasby (Doomsday) and Liam Cunningham (Game Of Thrones).

Bonus Features​

DISC ONE (4K UHD):
  • NEW 4K Restoration From The Original Camera Negative – Approved By Director Neil Marshall And Cinematographer Sam McCurdy
  • Audio Commentary With Director Neil Marshall
DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):
  • NEW 4K Restoration From The Original Camera Negative – Approved By Director Neil Marshall And Cinematographer Sam McCurdy
  • Audio Commentary With Director Neil Marshall
  • Werewolves Vs. Soldiers – A Look At The Making Of DOG SOLDIERS Featuring Interviews With Director Neil Marshall, Producers Christopher Figg And Keith Bell, Actors Kevin McKidd, Sean Pertwee, Darren Morfitt, Leslie Simpson And Emma Cleasby, Special Effects Artist Bob Keen, And More!
  • A Cottage In The Woods - A Look At The Production Design With Production Designer Simon Bowles
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Neil Marshall's Short Film: Combat
  • Two Still Galleries – Photos From The Film And Rare Photos From Production Designer Simon Bowles And Special Effects Artist Dave Bonneywell's Archives

product3.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Will wait for reviews on this one, as the blu-ray was a mess. Though it's encouraging that it sounds like they made a new master from the OCN (which I was thinking was lost, for some reason).

EDIT: Neil Marshall was quoted when the blu-ray came out in 2015 that the OCN was not available. They must have got lucky, or finally asked the right person?

"... after an exhaustive search I'd discover the original negative was nowhere to be found. Neither the UK producer, distributor or film processing lab has any idea where the negative is."

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Well, I have the German 4K UHD from Koch Media, released in 2019, and the picture quality is very disappointing. So I wouldn't rush out and buy this, until we see what we're getting.

IMG_7324.jpg

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
The negative was lost for years and then rediscovered. The old Blu-Ray had to make do with a film print, but this 4K will be from a new scan of the negative and will look significantly better.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Well, I have the German 4K UHD from Koch Media, released in 2019, and the picture quality is very disappointing. So I wouldn't rush out and buy this, until we see what we're getting.

View attachment 132969

I also have the Koch UHD. I wouldn't say it was "very disappointing" -- it was a definite improvement over the Scream Factory BD (let alone the First Look Studios BD before that) -- though I'd hoped for better.

I assume that this will be the same master as the Second Sight (UK) 4K release that's coming in June.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The negative was lost for years and then rediscovered.
Shout should include more info/detail about this in their marketing given there was such a brouhaha over the last blu-ray release. I know they're stating "new 4K scan from OCN", but I'd really like to hear more. Where did they find the OCN? Was it propping up the leg of Marshall's office desk? Given it seemed to be "lost" for years, what condition was it in when found? Did it require lots of restoration work?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I assume that this will be the same master as the Second Sight (UK) 4K release that's coming in June.
While Shout don't have an impeccable track record, Second Sight certainly do - both on blu-ray and UHD. Their Dawn Of The Dead 4K UHD was amazing. They are transparent about all the people and companies involved during the scanning and mastering of the discs, so it sounds like they'll have something decent to offer.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hardly an iron-clad source, but comments at Second Sight's Facebook page seem to indicate the whole "the OCN is lost and no one knows where it went" was a story made up by Scream/Shout back in 2015. Seems odd that Neil Marshall would seemingly go along with it, but who knows if he was in a position to know any different from what they were telling him.

But if that's the case, I'm not sure I want to support Scream/Shout by purchasing this again from them. May have to look into an import.

... apparently it was never lost (contrary to what was said on the Scream Factory commentary). The person/company who had it (he was a producer on the film) even reached out to them but they didn't respond. I have this from the person themselves after I commented on a horror site about it being lost.

The original negative was always available. Scream Factory lied about not being able to get hold of it for whatever reason.

One of the producers of the film spoke out and said how he'd reached out to Scream Factory and heard nothing back from them. I don't know why they would try and make it seem as if they really went above and beyond to find the original negative when they didn't. Maybe they simply weren't prepared to cough up the money. I can't think of anything else. ... I think it was a couple of years ago that it was brought to light. Although I don't think it's common knowledge for the most part.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Strangely, the first time I heard of Dog Soldiers, was while watching - of all things - a Ken Loach film, It's A Free World (2007). Typical gritty Ken Loach drama about the impoverished working class in England, struggling to make ends meet. It starts out as a quasi-comedy and a key scene in the film is when two of the characters in the film, a young single mum and her 11 year old son, were having a cosy night in at home. They were watching a rental video on the TV, while they were waiting for a pizza to be delivered. There was a remarkable amount of gunfire, screaming and violence on the TV screen, which was quite hilarious. So naturally, I was very curious to see which film they were watching together, and stayed until the end credits to discover it was Dog Soldiers!

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
While Shout don't have an impeccable track record, Second Sight certainly do - both on blu-ray and UHD. Their Dawn Of The Dead 4K UHD was amazing. They are transparent about all the people and companies involved during the scanning and mastering of the discs, so it sounds like they'll have something decent to offer.
I've been following Second Sight's updates on Twitter over the last few months about the restoration, and then I suddenly see that Shout/Scream is releasing it? Think I'll wait for Second Sight. They do some great work.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Fun movie. I avoided the previous Blu-rays because of negative reviews. Let's hope Shout Factory releases a separate regular Blu-ray from the 4K scan. This is not available streaming presently so perhaps they could correct that too!

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
A streaming version of Dog Soldiers has recently become available at Prime. I assume it's from the new transfer. I watched it last night, the story holds up well, I hadn't seen it since DVD of twenty years ago, and I assume the picture quality is the best it can be and doesn't detract from the story. I never saw this in the cinema so YMMV. Enjoy.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
3206f751-4607-4fbf-8749-a6f49a33250b.jpg

SCREAM FACTORY
Presents

DOG SOLDIERS COLLECTOR’S EDITION
Written and Directed by Neil Marshall

4a7318d6-b475-4891-8425-9e75523551b1.jpg
ARRIVES ON AUGUST 23, 2022
IN A 4K UHD™+ BLU-RAY™ COMBO PACK
FROM SCREAM FACTORY™​

“One of the most explosive and purely enjoyable horror debuts since The Evil Dead”
Total Film
The terrifying thriller DOG SOLDIERS from the visionary director and producer Neil Marshall (The Descent, Doomsday, Centurion, and episodes of Game Of Thrones) will finally unleash in a 4KUHD™+Blu-ray™ combo pack on August 23 from SCREAM FACTORY™. Directed by Marshall and starring Kevin McKidd (Rome, Trainspotting), Sean Pertwee (Gotham, Event Horizon), Emma Cleasby (Doomsday), and Liam Cunningham (Game Of Thrones, Clash Of The Titans), this highly anticipated release features New 4K restoration from the original camera negative, approved by director Neil Marshall and cinematographer Sam McCurdy, and comes loaded with bonus content. Loyal fans and collectors ordering from Shoutfactory.com will receive an exclusive rolled 18x24 poster featuring the brand-new artwork available while supplies last.

A group of soldiers dispatched to the Scottish Highlands on special training maneuvers face their biggest fears after they run into Captain Ryan – the only survivor of a Special Ops team that was literally torn to pieces. Ryan refuses to disclose his mission even though whoever attacked his men might be hungry for seconds. Help arrives in the form of a local woman who shelters them in a deserted farmhouse deep in the forest ... but when they realize that they are surrounded by a pack of blood-lusting werewolves, it's apparent their nightmare has just begun!

Special Features:
DISC ONE (4K UHD):
  • NEW 4K Restoration from The Original Camera Negative by Second Sight Films – Approved by Director Neil Marshall and director of photography Sam McCurdy – Presented in Dolby Vision
  • NEW Audio Commentary by writer and associate professor of Film Alison Peirse
  • Audio Commentary with Director Neil Marshall
  • Audio Commentary with producers David Allen and Brian O’Toole
DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):
  • NEW 4K Restoration from The Original Camera Negative by Second Sight Films – Approved by Director Neil Marshall and director of photography Sam McCurdy
  • NEW Audio Commentary by writer and associate professor of Film Alison Peirse
  • NEW Werewolves, Crawlers, Cannibals and More – an interview with Neil Marshall
  • NEW A History of Lycanthropy – author Gavin Baddeley on Werewolf Cinema
  • NEW Werewolves, Folklore and Cinema – a video essay by author Mikel J. Koven
  • Audio Commentary with Director Neil Marshall
  • Audio Commentary with producers David Allen and Brian O’Toole
  • Werewolves vs. Soldiers – a look at the making of DOG SOLDIERS featuring Interviews with Director Neil Marshall, Producers Christopher Figg and Keith Bell, Actors Kevin McKidd, Sean Pertwee, Darren Morfitt, Leslie Simpson and Emma Cleasby, Special Effects Artist Bob Keen and more!
  • A Cottage in the Woods - a look at the production design with production designer Simon Bowles
  • UK Theatrical Trailers and U.S. Home Video Promo
  • Combat – A short film by Neil Marshall
  • Two Still Galleries – Photos from the Film and Rare Photos from Production Designer Simon Bowles and Special Effects Artist Dave Bonneywell's Archives

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks