What's new

High pitch noise from new TV (Panasonic)... (1 Viewer)

JohnLinneman

Auditioning
I just purchased a new Panasonic CT-27HL14. I've already tweaked it and it looks very nice, but there is a high pitch noise that occasionally shows up...

Basically, it seems to come from motion. I am using it upstairs on a smallish TV stand (looking for a larger one soon). It sits comfortably, but the stand can move just a bit (but is stable) and the floor can shake a bit when moving around. If I shake the stand or step down hard on the floor, it will sometimes start the sound. I wedged a nice (TV size) piece of thick cardboard beneath it (so that the entire TV is resting on something). On my older Toshiba 20" flat screen set, tapping the floor or moving the set caused rather intense moire patterns to appear on the left and right side of the screen. With this set, it sometimes causes a high pitch sound. Not everybody even hears the sound, but it does bother me (though it isn't too bad with sound playing). If the sound begins, pressing down on the set or lifting it will always cause it to stop.

Another note, I absolutely have a ground loop problem in this room. With both this set and my Toshiba, component video inputs will show very slight rolling bars at times. It isn't too bad and is only visible in gray colors (and isn't as severe on this new set).

If the TV is set in the basement entertainment center (which is VERY stable), it will never make the noise as there is no way for it to move.

What does this suggest? I'm trying to figure out exactly what the main culprit is. The slightly shakey area it stands upon, the ground loop problem, or an actual TV defect?

I could swap it for another set, but I don't want to do that if I do not have to as the TV itself works beautifully.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
I had a high pitch noise too in my new proscan tv , The
salesman said it was the power supply and not to worry.

Weel DO WORRY that high pitch noise indicated a problem that eventualy killed my tv after only 4 years.:angry:

JohnLinneman

Auditioning
Well, I have a four year warranty at the store, so I can get it replaced if/when there is an actual problem.

I've found that it generally will occur when I power on the TV after it has sat for a while. After about 1 minute, however, it goes away.

Normally, when I'd hear it...I would fiddle with the stand and it would vary. I always thought my fiddling was fixing it...but that does not seem to be so. I tried just waiting it out and it fixes itself up.

Also, I've found that I am now listening TOO hard and all of the electronic noises in my room are bothering me a bit more after this. :P I always have two PCs on, two fans, a 19" monitor, one of my consoles or DVD player, the TV, the multiple power supplies and filters, and my sound setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks