What's new

High Flow Shower Heads, where can I find one? (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I am tired of my crappy shower head. I have been to several stores and all they seem to have are these low flow (2.5GPM) models. Are higher flow rates not allowed by law or something?

I feel like Kramer.

Thanks,

Keith

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I got a great showerhead for $12.00 at Home Depot. It's a water-saver type but when i went to install it I noticed that water saver collar could be easily unscrewed from its seat in the thread. It even had indents for a philips head. Sure enough it could come right out! Look carefully when shopping for shower heads and check to see whether or not this feature is on the heads you look at.

Happy showering!

Jason

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I too bought ours from Home Depot. It's a large heavy chrome thing. Says something like "all spray" or "all jets" on the black part where the jets are. It has the adjustor on the side for fine spray or down pour. I pulled the water saver piece out of the collar and BAM! lots of water. It does very well.
[EDIT] HughM - yes that is the exact shower head that I have. I love it. Guess I was way off on the "all jets" thing. :D

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Funny thing you mention that Jason. I was just at Home Depot today and noticed that piece you speak of on several different models. I was thinking to myself that if it was removed it might solve my problem. Good to get some confirmation on that.

Thanks for the tips guys.

-Keith

Hugh M

Second Unit
the one I got was a Speakman Anystream.

it wasn't cheap but it is exactly what you are looking for, and can be adjusted for any amount of water flow desired.

I believe I picked it up at HomeDepot, but could have been Loews.

Kirsten

Stunt Coordinator
We have something called the "Rainmaker" made by Interbath. It is "low flow" but we took out the little water inhibitor dealie and now it works well. The shower head was only about ten dollars Canadian and can be found at Walmart or Canadian Tire.

Good luck!

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,
My mother bought a shower head from this site www.supershowersystem.com and she seemed quite pleased with it. She uses for her shore house which doesnt get much water pressure. I must say the few times I used it, it made a difference.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
When I was visiting the parents over the holidays I noticed how much I missed a real shower head. I was planning on replacing it today(Sun) after picking up some of the discounted Paramount DVD titles with my Best Buy coupon.
However, I'll be taking a bath this morning. :)
Apparently I have the shower head arm with a built-in ball design. I gave up trying to remove the head after 15 minutes because it wouldn't budge. It appears to be a threaded joint with ball screwed on it, but according to what I've read it must actually be interconnected. The thing sort of started a leak too so I went ahead and successfully removed the entire shower arm.
I'll be replacing it with a shower arm that will allow me to replace the ancient crud filled head and arm unit with a less economical one. ;)
Total cost estimate:
$27 for the Speakman 4 Head
$4 Shower Arm and Flange
$1 Teflon tape
(...and eventually $4 for a cheapo head to replace it with when I eventually leave the apt.)
Am I missing anything?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
That sounds about right. I have noticed that some of the heads come with a little bit of tape in their package.
I saw this one head at Home Depot that was called a "Sunflower" design. It was just a round head with a flat surface filled with jets. They had a 4 inch, 6 inch, and 8 inch diameter model. The 8 inch was really impressive. However it weighed a ton. I was afraid it would pull the pipe out of the wall. ;) It was also about $80 as I recall. Still though, its tempting. I will probably end up switching to one of the hose types. I think it would make cleaning the shower a lot easier.
-Keith

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Due to remodeling I've been through a fair number of showerheads over the past few years and I have yet to come across one where the low-flow mechanism couldn't be easily removed.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I've got the Speakman Anystream, and I actually had to put the low-flow regulator back on because without it, the water was so forceful it was painful! If you want a needle-like shower, the Speakman is for you.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I'm not a craftsman in any sense of the word and I lease an apartment. Is a showerhead something that can be easily installed and then reinstalled? I would love a more powerful showerhead. But don't want to damage the apartment. Thanks!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
We have something called the "Rainmaker" made by Interbath. It is "low flow" but we took out the little water inhibitor dealie and now it works well. The shower head was only about ten dollars Canadian and can be found at Walmart or Canadian Tire.
I got one of these for my apartment, I think it was 5-7 bucks US at supertarget... I like it, all I did was pull out the rubber O-ring to let the water flow :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
All done. I splurged on the 6 head unit and removed the low flow. :D
Don,
I was able to easily unscrew the shower arm in addition to the head all at once. It's about 6" long in total from the end to to shower head joint. My unit has a threaded pipe essentially right behind the tile that the shower arm goes into.

Hugh M

Second Unit
I've got the Speakman Anystream, and I actually had to put the low-flow regulator back on because without it, the water was so forceful it was painful! If you want a needle-like shower, the Speakman is for you.
first of all, I'm dying laughing that we're even talking about this.
second thing, mine has a little knob on the side where you adjust it and it goes through the entire range .....so mine is actually "AnyStream"..I had fine flow.
I think you need to look for the genuine models.
I bet you picked yours up from some street dealer or something, scalping shower heads.
your shower head is not genuine!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
kidding, maybe there are different models...I hope the answer is near, the suspense is killing me.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, guys - this is fun. Are all of these 'inhibitors' just an 'O' ring, or are some of them cone shaped? That would be what I would expect to see.

As for any apartment, and I have been in several of them, I have my showerhead and the attached pipe (that goes into the wall) all ready. After I move in, I remove the old one with a pipe wrench, wrap plumbers tape on the new one and slip it in place. I just leave the old one in the back of the bathroom cabinet. Piece of cake!

Glenn

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
haha sort of on-topic, but my apartment pays for water, and heats it for me. MAN there's nothing like letting the bathroom steam up for a few minutes in the winter when it's cold as shit outside before going in for a morning shower :)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Success!!
I had to go to two Home Depots to find the Anystream. I was told at the first one I tried that they were no longer carrying them. However, the second Home Depot had 1 left on the shelf so I nabbed it. It was a less expensive model with "only" for jets but I figured it would be an improvement over my current setup.
The Anystream has instructions on the package for removing the low-flow valve for cleaning. Removal of the valve and installation took less than 5 minutes. I just got out of the shower and I must say....AHHHHHHH. That is what I am talking about baby! Finally a real shower.
However, I still have to wonder what that 8 inch diameter, Sunflower showerhead would have been like. Hmm...maybe next time. :)
-Keith

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm, maybe one of them stinging needle showerheads may be more effective in waking me in the morning than my old-man-peeing showerhead i hae now...
Ah, nothing like a hundred needles of water cutting into your face in the morning! :D
I saw a showerhead that recreated a 'rain' effect, thought those are pretty cool...
Has anybody tried those fancy waterpik ones with like a dozen different settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks