What's new

Hi. I'm new to Projector's and I have a few questions... (1 Viewer)

Dirk S

Auditioning
Hi. I'm thinking about buying a projector, to use with my PC instead of a new monitor, but I have a few questions I would like answered first, otherwise I might regret buying one.

1. I read somewhere that after a long period of use, the projector can overheat and brake? Is this true, or does it only apply to certain projectors? I will be using it about 10-15 hours per day, everyday!

2. What does compressed resolution mean?

I have found 3 projector's I'm interested in, they are:

Epson EMP-710 LCD Projector

BenQ PB2120 Projector

HITACHI CPX430 PROJECTOR

Which is the best one and could someone give me estimates on what they are worth? I'll be buying off eBay.

That's all, thanks for your time.

Dirk S

Auditioning
Feel free to add any other information, that I should look out for when buying a projector.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

I personally don't think a projector would be a good move for you then. Most projector bulbs need to be replaced every 2000-4000 hours. You'd be spending $200-500 for a bulb every year or more. A projector probably isn't the best to go with at that high level of usage.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
For your use, get a DLP projector. Do NOT even consider an LCD projector.

As for 'compressed resolution,' I believe what they are referring to is, a projector may accept a signal up to 1600x1200, but it only has, say, 1024x768 real pixels. It will rescale the incoming image to fit it's real pixels.

(Numbers are being used for example purposes only; I don't know any specifics about the three you listed.)

I would not seriously consider a projector as a monitor replacement, however; not unless you had a nice 17"-20" on your desktop, and wanted to have a large monitor for other people to see as you worked - classroom and/or lecture-hall style.

Leo Kerr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks