What's new

Hi everyone, new guy here (1 Viewer)

Donnie M

Grip
Hey all,

I just joined the forum and am similarly just getting into home theater. I'm piecing together a modest system in my basement that I will later take with me to college. In shopping for receivers, I have noticed that many offer video upconversion, either from composite to S-video, or composite and S to component video. My question is: do these receivers actually upgrade the video signal to either S or component video, or do they merely pass the lower-quality signal through the better connection?

If the signal is actually upgraded, this would help me as I have 3 video game systems in my current setup and will likely have a 4th when the PS3 is released. Being able to hook all these systems up using whatever type of connection I currently have for them, and then being able to see all of them in component resolution would be great.

However, if the signal isn't actually upgraded, I would just look for a receiver that has 3+ component video inputs and get the correct cables for each system.

Sorry for making this such a long first post, so thanks to all who stuck with it!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Some have better upconversion than others.

Some even DCDi de-interlacing which is very high quality.

No good answer here, but I usually find staying with like say sdiveo through the AVR and then still svideo to the AVR to be better than most upconversion I have seen to date.

From what I read AVR upconversion does not get very high marks in general. There are probably somne exceptions out there though.

Donnie M

Grip
Ok, thanks John. I think I'll just stick to a receiver that provides enough inputs for my application.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks