What's new

Hey, where is the Smallville Discussion? (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Howdy,
I just watched the first episode of Smallville. I had taped it in the whim that it might be cool, based upon some of the images I had scene (in particular the Clark Kent as scarecrow with "S" on chest). I have to say, after watching it this past weekend, that I was really pleased with what I saw! It was well written, had enough inside references to keep old DC fans like myself into it, yet had enough new stuff to make me want to see more of it. I think the show has really been informed by Buffy and could, with good writing, be for guys in high school what Buffy was for ladies. Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it came out was the literal "school is hell" theory and the monsters and adventures were metaphors for what all kids go through in school. Smallville obviously wants to tread down the same sort of path, but with that extra bit of fatalistic relationship building with characters we already know.
Some of the references to Superman lore were neat and well integrated into the story, such as why Clark becomes all lovesick and clumsy around Lana Lang, the somewhat obvious but still cool use of the emergency blankets at the car accident, and even the origin of Luthor's bald pate. It worked for me. Am I the only one or did a discussion start and stop before I got into the show? I hope it keeps up and has fun with the superhero/teen angst formula.
Phil
PS Thankfully, Luthor's "do you think a man can fly" speech didn't lead into a Lois Lane like "Can you read my mind" speech.
------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum26/HTML/001517.html Frank
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true
usa_small.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks