What's new

Everwood - 10.06.03 - "East Meets West" (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
After last week's episode which was fairly hit and miss in terms of characterization, this week was a real return to form. Not only did we get to see what's been brewing under the surface for Delia for so long, but Andy and Ephram were forced to take a hard look at themselves as well.
The episode was subtle where it needed to be (like Amy forgiving Ephram at the end when he gave her his paper), and blunt where it needed to be (Nina tearing Andy a new asshole). I particularly liked Ephram's essay narration at the end; he always had this Hamlet sort of thing going on, and it was good to see the show acknowledge that.
Madison was also a really good addition to the show. I love the idea of a character that is annoying to start with but even more annoying because she's right. It was also nice to see Ephram and Andy - usually so wrapped up in their own little mini-dramas - sacrifice their comfort zone for Delia.
I also thought that Harold's sister was handled better this week. Last week they seemed to going for the likable, perfect type in characterization. The problem with that, as they've acknowledged with the Madison character, is that perfect people are never likable. This episode showed that they were both in the wrong, the only difference being that Linda is more graceful about dealing with issues that Harold. By getting in the fight and then making up afterward, they reached a balance while Harold looked like the bad guy. As long as they don't push her to main character status, I think she's a welcome addition to Everwood.
Always the Delia fan (hey, I like the underdogs... I'm rooting for Pete Ross on Smallville, too;)), I thought this episode really started to carve a unique identity for Delia. The speech to Andy and Ephram after they were discussing firing her was just priceless; as was the firm, no-room-for-compromise delivery by Vivien Cardone. The only other time I can remember such a focus was the thanksgiving episode. Delia and Bright were the two characters I thought they could have done more with last season, so I'm glad the creative team is doing something with them. Next week's episode looks great; we've seen Ephram and Andy dealing with the grief of losing Julia, now it's good to see how the other member of the Brown clan is dealing.

What did you all think?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Solid episode, with so many laughs thrown into the mix.

Sarah Lancaster (Madison) got more juicy dialogue than she's used to (like playing the candy stripe girl on "Scrubs" that JD lusted after last season). Glad Madison got to put both Brown men in their place.

Oh, next episode is the one where Delia lets fly a naughty wordy dirdy
:)

Harry and Linda are going to be fun take jabs at each other (literally).

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I was pretty disappointed with it actually. Much of the humor and developments weren't as surprising as they usually are. The Dr. Linda Abbott being into new wave medicine had too familiar a feel to it, Harold doing his little schtick at the lodge meeting was obvious. It just didn't click with me the way that past stories twisted our expectations (like Nina's husband cheating on her with a man). It just seemed bland to me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know. While I agree that if there were NO new shocking developments left it the season the show would be bland, I like the way they allow the characters to react to the shocks for a little while before moving on. If they relied on a shocking development every week, it would almost become a self-parody (like a David E. Kelly show).

I do agree that the Harold plotline was weaker than usual, but I think this is to be expected as they integrate Linda into the show. I liked the humor in the rest of the episode. I guess it's just a case of varying mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks