What's new

Here is what I think of my new Mitsubishi... (1 Viewer)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
First of all, I bought a 65809 but the store had run out of those so they delivered me a 65311 which is this years model. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, maybe some of you guys could let me know.

I am amazed at how good the picture looks on regular and digital cable (time warner). I was expecting it to look out of focus and fuzzy but it does not. HOWEVER, when using s video it does look pretty bad. Very odd that using the regular coax cable looks far better. I wonder if a lot of people never try this and just assume that s video will look better and are dissatified. Hey, even football looks pretty good through the coax; football through s video will give me an instant headache however. I hope someone can explain to me why coax looks so much better than s video.

DVD's look fantastic even though I don't have a progressive player yet. My only frustration so far is trying to set it up with Avia. It seems like so many setting levels would work for what the disk is describing as appropriate.

John Royster

Screenwriter
And just think...your TV will get dramatically nicer over the next 100 hours.

S-vid looks worse than regular antenna or coax on my mits as well. This is the fault of the source for not separating Y/C well.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
John- I would definately say that if you're renting your digital cable box from charter then S-video IS going to look like crap... seems to be the case with every charter set-top i've seen thus far... Have you tried the s-video from a different source like your DVD player?

John Royster

Screenwriter
Oh, excuse me.:b

What I meant to say is it has been my experience that s-video out from a cable box is riddled with dotcrawl and flicker. 'Least on my box, buddies with the same service but differnet HDTVs notice the same thing.

By all means s-video from other sources look great like games and DVD.

-that'll teach me to post fast..-

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
It's because the output of the analog channels is going through the comb filter in the cable box, which sucks. When you output it via coax, you're outputting a composite RF signal which then runs through your Mits comb filter, which is a really top-notch comb filter.

The cable box, I doubt, even has a real comb filter. I bet just a cheap notch filter.

A LOT of people are mis-informed on this, and just assume S-Video is better for everything. It's only better for signals that are sent with an already seperated chroma/luma signal.

John Royster

Screenwriter
so comes my next question...

why so much dot crawl when I use s-vid from my cablebox? Is it the poor y/c separation the cable box is using?

trying to understand all this video stuff.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Thsnks for the responses guys...

I was also surprised yesterday at how I didn't really mind the stretch mode for football. Sure I can tell if they scan the crowd or if I'm really looking for it, but to me it looks better even than having the gray side bars.

If I would have known how good these large rptv sets look on regular cable I would have bought a long time ago! Either I'm not as picky as some people, or I am getting an excellent cable signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks