What's new

Help with Steely Dan DVD-A disc please (1 Viewer)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I feel like such a dork.:b
OK, the disc I'm having problems with is Steely Dan "Two Against Nature". According to the little, itsy, bitsy print on the backside of the case, there are supposed to be 4 audio choices.
I'm trying to play it in a Toshiba 4700 connected via Toslink for digital, 6 ICs for 6 channel analog, and 2 ICs for 2 channel analog, all going to a Yamaha DSP-A1.
The disc plays fine in 6 channel analog, but I can't find a choice for dts in the menus. Is the dts not output as a bitstream on this disk?
When I access the stereo tracks menu the disc "plays" but I get no sound at all. I have tried all the combinations in the Toshiba setup menu.
In my bedroom system, where I have a Pioneer Elite DVL-90, the disc won't play at all, can't even access the menus. :)
Time for a new DVD player in there.
Anybody have any secrets for playing this disc?
Thanks,
Julian

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The way this disc is mastered, you can not access the DD and DTS tracks on a DVD-Audio player. Unless, that is, your DVD-Audio player is set to "DVD-Video" mode. I don't know how to set this mode on your player, or whether it's possible at all.

The disc should be playable on your DVL-90 as far as I know. I don't know why it won't play there.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
It will be in the setup menus of your Toshiba. They default to Audio default. Switch it to Video and you will see the DTS choice.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Thanks, guys. Got it working on the Toshiba, still no joy on the Pioneer Elite.
Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, too many choices. :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Julian,

This isn't necessarily the wrong forum.

I haven't worked with this particular player, but the Pioneer DVL-909 might be having issues with the inclusion of both AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS on one disc.

Is it an older one, say 3-4 years old?

Regards,

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
After trying this disc AGAIN on 3 different players, I have come to the conclusion I have a semi-defective disc.
The 6 ch DVD-A plays fine on a Toshiba SD-4700 and a Panasonic RP-82. The other 3 options won't play on anything I own. So tomorrow I will call MusicDirect and see how good their customer service is.
John, the Pioneer Elite DVL-90 is an older model, but it plays the Dolby Digital tracks of "Foreplay" which is a Warner DVD-Audio, just fine. On the Steely Dan DVD-A it just regurgitates the disc.
Anyway, thanks for everyone's help.
Julian

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Julian,
The Steely Dan disc is on Giant Records, which is a part of..... Warner ;)
If you have a PeeCee DVD Rom drive, can you insert the disc and take a look at the directory structure?
Regards,

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I checked the disc on this PC which has a DVD Rom, and the directory structure is there for both Audio_TS and Video_TS, and there are a bunch of files under both, but it won't play on the PC either. I put another DVD in (a video only), and it played fine.

I called Music Direct and after a little discussion they are sending a replacement disc.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Cool Julian -- I'm just not sure it's actually a defective disc.

It won't hurt to receive a new one and test it out.

Regards,

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I'm not sure it's defective, either. :) But 2 DVD-Audio players, 2 DVD-Video players, and a PC DVD-ROM all won't play it. It's either defective or I've got the world's worst collection of DVD players.
Of course, I also have malfunctioning copies of Fantasia 2000 and From the Earth to the Moon, so maybe it's the heat and humidity here. My house is air-conditioned, though, and I only had the Steely Dan disc 1 day when I found the problem.
When the new one gets here, I'll post the results, assuming I can still find this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks