What's new

Help with screen problem onSharp 32 Flat Screen (1 Viewer)

Doug_R

Auditioning
Can anyone explain this problem?

I bought a new Sharp 32 inch flat screen TV and I'm having a weird problem. Anytime a vertical line is onscreen at a angle other than straight up and down, it has really a harsh jagged appearance. Especially if it is high contrast black on white. Sometimes there are even RGB colors in it. I also have a hard time reading white text on black backgrounds. I have the problem on both my satellite and DVDs. I've taken the sharpness way down, and still get the problem.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't know if I got a bad piece of equipment or not. Thanks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You are seeing one of the most common forms of video artifacting: jagged diagonals (or "jaggies"). It is inherent to the scanning-line process and is most apparent on interlaced-only displays. There's really nothing you can do about it, except to get a display with progressive-scan capability. Even that won't solve the problem entirely if you watch a lot of video-sourced programming. For film-sourced programming, a prog-scan player with 2:3 pulldown correction (or a display's 2:3 pulldown circuitry) will eliminate jaggies for the most part.

Doug_R

Auditioning
For film-sourced programming, a prog-scan player with 2:3 pulldown correction (or a display's 2:3 pulldown circuitry) will eliminate jaggies for the most part
Thanks for the reply.

Is the 2:3 pulldown correction a feature on DVD that can be accessed to turn on or off. Or is a built-in feature?

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I just sold my Sharp 32" flat screen model #UF500 . It sounds like exactly the problem I had with mine.I think this set uses excessive SVM which even turning sharpness down all the way won't alleviate.Text looks artificially sharp and there are very noticeable black outlines on the edges of objects. I also had the rainbow colors on vertical lines particullarly near the center of the screen. I exchanged the set once so it seems to be inherent in a lot if not all Sharp 32" flat tubes. I sold it to a friend at half what I paid. He saw the picture and considered the set worth $300.00. One thing the sharp had going for it was the warm color temperature looked spot on. On the Sony even the warm setting looks bluish to me, but dvd's look amazing in 16x9 enhanced mode. If you can still return it I would look at the Sony or Toshiba 32 flats.

Doug_R

Auditioning
I've had it about a month, so I don't know if it's returnable to Best Buy. Kind of disappointing because the color on it is very nice. Plus it's one of the few 30" that will fit in our entertainment center because the speakers are on the bottom.

I wonder if the non-flat screen would have been a better choice?

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Best Buy will take it back up to 30 days, they would probably extend it if you were to buy another set from them. I also bought the tv because the speakers were underneath . I needed it to fit on my elite high boy stand to elevate it for watching in bed. I thought I could live with the flaw but once you know it's there you will always be looking for it and it tends to ruin the experience. Another option would be to call Sharp and complain . It could possibly be fixed. I'd be surprised if no one has complained to them already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks