What's new

help with home entertainment system (1 Viewer)

JacksonSkiBum

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I have a used Pioneer 50" plasma screen that connects to a Pioneer media receiver (PDP-RO6U). The screen doesn't have speakers so I need to send the sound from the receiver to a bar stereo (Yamaha YSP-1000). the only output I see for sound from the receiver is a digital optical connection which connects to the stereo and works fine when i'm watching basic cable.

the problem is when I connect my xbox/computer using a HDMI connection. I get [COLOR= green ! important]video[/COLOR] but no sound and the option for the digital [COLOR= green ! important]audio[/COLOR] in the TV's menu says "current settings do not allow selection and adjustment". This only happens when i try to use a HDMI connection.

the xbox sound/video does work when I'm not using the HDMI cord.

anyone have any ideas why i wouldn't be able to use digital audio when using an HDMI connection?

thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JacksonSkiBum

What is HDMI switching?
Multiple components with HDMI are connected to your receiver. One HDMI cable connects your receiver to your TV. So as you change inputs on your receiver, both the video and audio change.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The Pioneer media receiver that connects to your TV is ill-equipped to serve as a switching hub for your external HDMI components.

I can't find any detailed information on that particular model of media receiver, but it doesn't surprise me that it won't support audio via HDMI (especially if it's several years old).

What you really need to do is invest in a REAL A/V receiver - one that is designed to support multiple devices, is fully HDMI compliant, and will provide enough inputs for you as you grow your system.

You should connect all your devices into the A/V receiver, then a single HDMI cable out from the receiver to the media receiver/TV combo, and a separate audio connection from the A/V receiver to your sound bar, or (better yet) separate speakers.

TVs with "outboard" media receivers like yours are not very common, and add another wrinkle to device connectivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks